](https://www.flickr.com/photos/xiaozhuli/7482194032) _ Photo by Zhu, from the OttawaStart Flickr Group _ This page has info about the big events downtown, plus celebrations all around Ottawa in Stittsville, Kanata, Barrhaven, Orleans, etc. The Nation’s Capital is the headquarters for Canada’s birthday celebration on July 1, 2016. Each year, hundreds of thousands of people visit Parliament Hill, Major’s Hill Park, Jacques-Cartier Park, and other locations in the surrounding areas to celebrate Canada. This year is Canada’s 149th birthday.
What’s Open and Closed in Ottawa
* Groceries, beer, museums, malls - here's [ a big list of what's open (and what's not) on July 1, 2016 ](http://ottawastart.com/ottawa-open-closed-canada-day/) .
Official Canada Day Events Downtown
* ** [ Parliament Hill: ](http://ottawastart.com/events/official-canada-day-activities-on-parliament-hill/) ** On July 1, Parliament Hill will be the setting for Canada Day celebrations. Thousands of Canadians will converge on the Hill to mark their country’s birthday. In the morning,In the morning, visitors will be able to attend the [ Changing the Guard ceremony ](http://ottawastart.com/events/changing-of-the-guard-on-parliament-hill/) at 9 a.m. (new time) and the Peace Tower Carillon concert at 10 a.m. * [ ** Parliament Hill Noon Show: ** ](http://ottawastart.com/events/official-canada-day-activities-on-parliament-hill/) The Canada Day Noon Show will include remarks from dignitaries, a flypast by the Canadian Forces Snowbirds and performances by Canadian artists. * [ ** Parliament Hill Evening Show: ** ](http://ottawastart.com/events/official-canada-day-activities-on-parliament-hill/) The Canada Day Evening Show will feature all the artists from the noon show and a flypast by the Canadian Forces Snowbirds, and will culminate with the President’s Choice Pyro-musical Fireworks at around 10 p.m. A one-hour edition of the evening show will be televised across Canada on CBC and ICI Radio-Canada at 9:00 pm (DST) with special programs on Tou.tv, ARTV, Espace Musique and TV5 Monde. The show will also be broadcast live in its entirety on CBC Radio 2, CBC.ca and radio-canada.ca. * There are also day-long celebrations at ** Major's Hill Park ** and ** Jacques Cartier Park. ** Both have great views of the fireworks. * ** THE FIREWORKS: ** [ Canada Day Fireworks start at 10:00pm... ](http://ottawastart.com/events/presidents-choice-canada-day-fireworks-in-the-capital/)
More Canada Day events in the community
[events_list limit="20" category="3407"] * #_EVENTLINK
* ** Museums: ** ** ** Most local museums are open on Canada Day, with special programming. For a listing of local museums, visit our [ Ottawa Museums Guide... ](http://ottawastart.com/useful-links/museums/) * [ Add your event to this list... ](/start/)
* ** The best way to get downtown is by bus. ** Most of the streets around Parliament Hill, Jacques Cartier Park, and Major's Hill Park are closed on Canada Day. Don't bring your car downtown! * Bus service is [ ** free all day ** ](http://ottawastart.com/free-transit-all-day-on-canada-day-2/) on Canada Day on OC Transpo buses. OC Transpo is running on a special holiday schedule on July 1, with additional service during the day. There are also free park and ride locations near several transit stations. * Bus service is ** free after 10:00pm ** on Canada Day on STO buses (Gatineau). [ More info... ](http://ottawastart.com/free-transit-all-day-on-canada-day-2/) * A ** FREE Canada Day Shuttle Bus ** between Jacques-Cartier Park (Gatineau) and the National Gallery (Ottawa) will be offered from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm on July 1.
* City of Ottawa bylaws say that consumer fireworks may be discharged ** on the day of, day before or the day after Canada Day. ** They must be discharged by someone 18 or older, and ** on private property ** , with permission of the property owner. Minimum safety distances as indicated on the fireworks product must be maintained from spectators, buildings and vehicles. The fireworks display ** must not cause danger or nuisance to any person or property ** .