Lindt by Gamachephoto, from the OttawaStart Flickr Group
Here’s what’s open and closed on Easter Weekend 2021 in Ottawa.
- Good Friday is on April 2, 2021. It’s a statutory holiday in Canada so just about all businesses are closed.
- Saturday is business as usual, notwithstanding any temporary changes due to COVID-19.
- Easter Sunday is April 4, with most businesses shut down for the day.
- Monday, April 5 is a holiday for most government employees and schools. Some private sector employees also have the day off.
To add to this list (or make a correction) please email email@example.com.
- In Ottawa, most grocery stores are closed on Friday and Sunday, but open on Monday.
- If you need some last minute groceries, some pharmacies like Shoppers Drug Mart are open on the holidays and most have a decent food section.
- Ottawa’s highly competitive bagel market is always ready to serve. Open every day: The Bagelshop on Wellington Street West, from 8am-6pm. Meanwhile, Kettleman’s Bagels never closes.
Need a doctor or emergency care?
- You can find healthcare services open during the Easter holidays by checking holidayhours.ca
Need wine or beer?
- Beer Stores and LCBO stores are closed on Friday and Sunday.
- Over in Quebec, SAQ outlets are open on Friday and Saturday, some are open on Sunday, and most are open on Monday.
- Several local brew pubs are open this weekend and sell beer in bottles/cans that you can take home with you. Some examples include Big Rig on Iris, Lowertown Brewery (ByWard Market), Overflow Brewery on Kaladar, and Clocktower.
More shopping & restaurants
- Many restaurants are open all weekend.
- The Rideau Centre is closed on Friday and Sunday, and open Saturday and Monday 10am-6pm.
- The Walmart in Smith Falls is open on Friday from 8am-5pm, closed on Easter Sunday, and open again on Monday 8am-10pm.
- Check with your bank to see what branches may be open.
- Garbage & recycling: No garbage collection on Friday or Monday. Good Friday’s pick-up will take place on Saturday, and Easter Monday’s pick-up will take place on Tuesday. The collection of green bin, garbage and recycling materials will be delayed by one day for the week after Easter.
- Hydro Ottawa’s time-of-use rates are off-peak all-day on the weekends. Easter is not considered a holiday by the Ontario Energy Board for the purposes of electricity billing, so usual rates will apply on Monday.
- OC Transpo will operate a Sunday schedule for bus service on Good Friday, with some Connexion routes reduced. Line 1 will run 8am-11pm, and line 2 buses will run 7:30am-11pm. On Easter Monday, buses will use a reduced weekday schedule; Line 1 will run 5am-1am and line 2 buses 5:45am-midnight.
- Note: CF Rideau Centre will be closed for electrical maintenance work from 7 pm on Thursday, April 1 until 7 am Saturday, April 3. During this time, customers will not be able to walk through the mall to access Rideau or Mackenzie King stations. Visit octranspo.com or refer to onsite signage for information about pedestrian routes during the mall closure.
- In Gatineau, STO is operating a Saturday schedule on Good Friday and Easter Monday.
- Here is a press release from the City of Ottawa about other service changes.
*To add to this list (or make a correction) please contact us