Lindt by Gamachephoto, from the OttawaStart Flickr Group
Here’s what’s open and closed on a very unusual Easter Weekend 2020 in Ottawa.
- Good Friday this year is on April 10. It’s a statutory holiday in Canada so just about all businesses are closed.
- Saturday is business as usual, notwithstanding any temporary changes due to the ongoing situation with COVID-19.
- Easter Sunday is April 12, with most businesses shut down for the day.
- Monday, April 13 is a holiday for most government employees and schools. Some private sector employees also have the day off.
To add to this list (or make a correction) please email email@example.com.
- In Ottawa, most grocery stores are closed on Friday and Sunday, but open on Monday. The Rideau Centre is generally closed due to COVID-19 however some essential services inside the mall remain open.
- If you need some last minute groceries, some pharmacies like Shoppers Drug Mart open on the holidays and most have a decent food section.
- Ottawa’s highly competitive bagel market is always ready to serve. Open every day: The Bagelshop on Wellington Street West, from 7am-6pm. Meanwhile, Kettleman’s Bagels never closes. Both bagel joints are only doing take-out and delivery, of course.
Need a doctor or emergency care?
- You can find healthcare services open during the Easter holidays by checking iamsick.ca
Need wine or beer?
- Beer Stores are closed on Friday and Sunday. All LCBO stores are closed on Friday and Sunday, and some are open Monday with revised hours. LCBO agency stores are closed on both days.
- Over in Quebec, SAQ outlets are open on Friday and Saturday, some are open on Sunday, and most are open on Monday. Keep in mind their hours have changed due to COVID-19.
- Several local brew pubs are open this weekend for take-out food and also to pick up beer in bottles to take home with you.
More shopping & restaurants
- Many restaurants are open all weekend for take-out/delivery.
- The Walmart in Smith Falls is open on Friday from 8am-5pm. (But closed on Easter Sunday.)
- Check with your bank to see what branches are open.
- Garbage & recycling: No garbage collection on Friday or Monday. Good Friday’s pick-up will take place on Saturday, and Easter Monday’s pick-up will take place on Tuesday. The collection of green bin, garbage and recycling materials will be delayed by one day for the week after Easter.
- Note that a provincial order due to COVID-19 has fixed the time-of-use pricing for electricity at 10.1 ¢/kWh regardless of the time of day electricity is used.
- OC Transpo: Buses operate on a reduced schedule.
- In Gatineau, STO is operating a Saturday schedule on Good Friday and Easter Monday.
- Here’s a press release from the city with more details on service changes.
*To add to this list (or make a correction) please contact us