Lindt by Gamachephoto, from the OttawaStart Flickr Group
Here’s what’s open and closed on Easter Weekend 2019 in Ottawa.
- Good Friday this year is on April 19. It’s a statutory holiday in Canada so just about all businesses are closed.
- Saturday is business as usual.
- Easter Sunday is April 21, with most businesses shut down for the day.
- Monday, April 22 is a holiday for most government employees and schools. Some private sector employees also have the day off.
To add to this list (or make a correction) please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In Ottawa, most grocery stores, shopping malls and retail outlets are closed on Friday and Sunday, but open on Monday. The Rideau Centre is closed Friday and Sunday too.
- If you need some last minute groceries, some pharmacies like Shoppers Drug Mart open on the holidays and most have a decent food section.
- Meanwhile, in Gatineau, most stores and malls (like Les Promenades Gatineau and les Galleries de Hull) are open on Good Friday, closed on Easter Sunday, and open again on Monday.
- Many stores in the Byward Market are open all weekend, including Friday and Sunday.
- Ottawa’s highly competitive bagel market is always ready to serve. Open every day: The Bagelshop on Wellington Street West, from 7am-6pm. Meanwhile, Kettleman’s Bagels never closes.
Need a doctor or emergency care?
- You can find healthcare services open during the Easter holidays by checking iamsick.ca
A good weekend for laundry
- Off-peak rates for hydro are in effect all weekend, from Friday to Monday. Run the dishwasher, do your laundry, etc. It’s a bonanza.
Need wine or beer?
- Beer Stores are closed on Friday and Sunday. All LCBO stores are closed on Friday and Sunday, and some are open Monday with revised hours. LCBO agency stores are closed on both days.
- Over in Quebec, SAQ outlets are open on Friday and Saturday, some are open on Sunday, and most are open on Monday.
- Several local brew pubs are open this weekend, where you can buy bottles to take home.
More shopping & restaurants
- Some garden centers will be open on Easter Sunday (call ahead).
- Some Tim Hortons are open on Friday and Sunday, some are not. Hit & miss.
- Many restaurants are open all weekend. (Call first and check!)
- The Walmart in Smith Falls is open on Friday from 8am-5pm. (But closed on Easter Sunday.)
- Banks are closed on Friday and open on Monday.
Entertainment & attractions
- Most National Museums are open all weekend (visit their web sites to confirm times). The National Gallery is closed on Good Friday. Both the Agriculture Museum and Aviation and Space Museum are open all four days, and the Agriculture Museum has special Easter at the Farm programming throughout the weekend.
- Local museums are closed on Friday and Monday, including the Ottawa Art Gallery.
- Movie theatres are open.
- Most local sugar bushes are open throughout the weekend.
- Garbage & recycling: No garbage collection on Friday or Monday. Good Friday’s pick-up will take place on Saturday, and Easter Monday’s pick-up will take place on Tuesday. The collection of green bin, garbage and recycling materials will be delayed by one day for the week after Easter.
- Off-peak rates apply for hydro all day on stat holidays.
- OC Transpo: Buses operate on a Sunday schedule on Good Friday. On Monday, all school routes are cancelled and there will be some route reductions to the regular weekday schedule. All OC Transpo sales centres are closed on Friday and Monday, except for the Rideau Centre which is open on Monday.
- In Gatineau, STO is operating a Saturday schedule on Good Friday and Easter Monday.
- Service Ontario kiosks are closed on Friday and Monday
- Federal Government offices are closed on Friday and Monday.
- Public & Catholic school boards are closed Friday and Monday.
- Most City of Ottawa services are closed on Friday and Monday, including client service centres and libraries.
- The City of Ottawa’s 3-1-1 service is open for urgent matters requiring the City’s immediate attention.
- Many City of Ottawa recreation centres are open all weekend (pools, fitness centres, arenas), call ahead or check ottawa.ca for info.
- Here’s a press release from the city with more details on service changes.
*To add to this list (or make a correction) please contact us