“Absolutely frigid weather” at Major’s Hill. Photo by David Johnson via the OttawaStart Flickr pool.
Ottawa residents love to talk about the weather. Along with hockey and gas prices, it may be our favourite topic.
This page includes links to local forecasts, weather alerts, satellite and radar images, along with specialty forecasts.
Detailed forecasts and conditions
- Environment Canada forecasts
- Official warnings
- Check Ottawa Public Health’s Twitter feed for frostbite warnings when it’s really cold out. You can also subscribe to the warnings via email.
- The Weather Network
- Weather Underground (also check out the nifty full screen map)
- AccuWeather.com (includes 10-day forecast)
Radar, satellite and more maps
A few radar links for tracking rain, snow and other precipitation:
- Weather Network Radar
- Franktown Radar (Environment Canada)
- Montague, NY radar (U.S. National Weather Service)
- Intellicast radar loop (North America)
- Satellite Images (Environment Canada)
- Jet Stream/North American Weather Systems (Environment Canada)
- Lightning Activity (Environment Canada - this map shows areas in Canada at greatest risk of being struck by lighting in the next 10 minutes)
Air Quality and specialty
From the Ontario Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks: “The Air Quality Health Index or ‘AQHI’ is a scale designed to help you understand what the air quality around you means to your health. This index pays particular attention to people who are sensitive to air pollution and provides them with advice on how to protect their health during air quality levels associated with low, moderate, high and very high health risks.”
The Weather Network has a report/forecast for everything except alien invasion:
Stats, info, and more
- Rolf Campbell regularly tweets weather stats and records on his account, @YOW_Weather.
- Britannia Yacht Club webcam (includes current conditions)
- Kanata Weather Observations
- National Climate Data and Information Archive
- Sunrise and sunset times (via timeanddate.com)
- In the winter, see where Ottawa ranks among coldest capitals by scrolling to the bottom of this page.