Canada day festivities will take place on Parliament Hill, in Major’s Hill Park and at the Canadian Museum of History. (David Johnston/Flickr)
This weekend on June 30 and July 1, celebrate Canada’s 151st birthday in downtown Ottawa on Parliament Hill. Here’s what you need to know before heading out.
- Officials recommend leaving two hours before the event you want to attend to get through security.
- There are some things you aren’t allowed to bring, such as aerosols or alcohol. Folding chairs are OK. It’s recommended to bring as little as possible.
- There are some big name performances on Parliament Hill for the noon and evening show, but there’s also music at Major’s Hill Park. Here’s the schedule…
- Canada Day programming this year is centred on the themes of reconciliation, Canadian women and Canada’s diversity and inclusion.
- A large swath of downtown streets near Parliament Hill will be closed and officials advise against driving.
- Fireworks at 10 p.m. Keep reading for details…
- If you don’t wanna go downtown, here’s some ideas for other celebrations to attend…
Where and when?
Events will unfold in three locations:
- Parliament Hill (July 1 only)
- Major’s Hill Park
- The Canadian Museum of History
The full schedule for all the locations is available on canada.ca.
From Canadian Heritage: “On July 1, an amazing 15 minutes pyromusical fireworks show will ignite the Ottawa–Gatineau sky in a spectacular way as of 10 p.m. (weather permitting). The President’s Choice ® Canada Day fireworks are a Canada Day must-see. The show’s soundtrack is 100 per cent Canadian. The fireworks will be launched from the Nepean Point in Ottawa resulting in a dazzling and perfectly synchronized pyromusical fireworks show.” We have a list of other fireworks shows at community events across Ottawa.
Yes! The Snowbirds will do a flyby over Parliament Hill during the noon show.
Open and closed
Most non-retail businesses and offices are closed, and just about all government services are shut down. Check out our open and closed list for more info.