The legendary Great Glebe Garage Sale is this Saturday, May 26. Think you’re ready?
- You MUST read David Scrimshaw’s Garage Sale Schema for all the pro tips on navigating this event. Required reading for tips like:
- “Don’t make plans for late afternoon … you’ll need a nap when you get home”
- “don’t bother with the blocks east of Bank”
- “buy lemonade from kids as often as your internal organs permit”
- Once you’ve read Dave’s rules, for balance you should read Zoom’s recommendation to break all the rules.
- ATMs empty out early, so bring cash to avoid disappointment.
- The official start time is 8 a.m., but if you start at 8 a.m. you’ll miss out on the best stuff. People have been known to start browsing at 7 a.m. or earlier.
- Did you know that sellers are encouraged to donate a portion of their sales (10% recommended) to the Ottawa Food Bank?
- This garage sale goes rain or shine. No rain date.
- Don’t even think of bringing your car. Traffic in the Glebe is always chaos on garage sale day, but it will be particularly challenging with Ottawa Race Weekend.
- If you’re posting about the event on Twitter, the official hashtag is #gggs. Send us a photo and/or tell us about your loot by tagging @ottawastart
David Scrimshaw’s Great Glebe Garage Sale Schema. Original here…
(This post was originally published May 2011 and has been updated.)