(Via Ottawa Public Library)
There it is.
The Ottawa Public Library – Library and Archives Joint Facility.
After 10 years of work, it is with tremendous pride that we share the design of this future landmark destination.
This incredible space will connect us, inspire us, and bring us together in new and unimaginable ways.
Today is a celebration of the power of connections:
- Our connection and unique partnership with Library and Archives Canada that will allow us to go further, reach more people, and transform and enrich even more lives.
- And our connection to you and our community, which has led to an unprecedented public co-design process.
In the past 6 years, more than 7,000 people provided input into the vision for our new central library.
In the last year alone, more than 4,000 people participated in person and online to shape the design of this beautiful new space.
Your comments informed the facility’s iconic shape, the location of its interior spaces, the indoor feel and mood, the landscape, the public art, and the focus on inclusivity and sustainability.
Today’s incredible milestone is also an occasion to celebrate the power and impact of public libraries! Public libraries are pillars of their communities. They help everyone to reach their potential and help fulfill their dreams.
Here is what this incredible new space means for us… and for you:
- More space! The entire Joint Facility will be double the size of the current Main branch.
- More visitors, more users: we expect to welcome more than double our current visitors.
- Beautiful and flexible spaces for innovative programming for all ages.
- Over 50 meeting spaces for students, entrepreneurs, community groups.
- Creative spaces with analog and the latest digital technologies.
- Recording studios and music rooms that will tie into our musical instrument lending library.
- Quiet reading spaces with breathtaking views!
- Over 200,00 collection items (and LAC’s collection too!)
- Cafés to meet your neighbor or make a new friend…
- Exterior spaces for community gathering or quiet reading and contemplation.
Join us to celebrate. Visit your new central library. Explore this beautiful, welcoming and inclusive space that will positively impact our community for generations to come. This is the place where we can all come together.