Ottawa is surrounded by farmland, and many of the farms offer pick-your-own berry facilities. Strawberry season in Ottawa typically starts in late June / early July, and as of June 13 a few are set to open over the next few days.
- Strawberry season in Ottawa usually starts in late June or early July. Check with your local grower for details, and always call first to make sure berries are in season.
- Berries are best picked when the temperature is not too hot — early morning or in the evening. A cloudy day is also great. Look for plump, bright red and fully ripe berries.
- Strawberries do not ripen after they are picked so avoid choosing berries with white or green spots. The size of strawberries is not important. All berries are equally sweet and juicy.
(Corrections/additions? Please email email@example.com)
- Ontario Berry Growers Association
- Acorn Creek Garden Farm
- Avonmore Berry Farm
- Beckwith Berries
- Bleuetière Hector Dignard & Fils (blueberries)
- Canaan Blueberries
- Dekok Berry Farm
- Foster Family Farm
- Fraisière Duquette Strawberries
- Hugli’s Blueberry Ranch
- Jardin Rochon Garden
- McGregor Produce
- Ovens Berry Farm
- Proulx Farm
- Richmond Nursery
- Rideau Pines Farm
- Shouldice Farms
(This post was originally published in June 2011.)