_ (press release) _
This afternoon, paramedics responded to two calls within 7 minutes for children who were left inside hot vehicles.
The first call was received at 13:08 hrs in the parking lot of a shopping centre on Tenth Line Rd. Citizens found the 6 year-old girl alone in a car. They broke a window and took the child into their air conditioned vehicle while they awaited the arrival of paramedics and police. Paramedics assessed the child and was found to be unharmed by the heat.
In the second call at 13:15 hrs, also in the parking lot of a shopping centre, this time off Terminal Avenue, paramedics were called to assess a 19 month-old boy. In this case, a parent accidentally left the keys inside the vehicle. Paramedics found the child to be unharmed.
Neither child was transported to hospital.
Paramedic would like to remind the public of the following:
1- Never, under any circumstances, leave children (or pets) alone in a vehicle
2- The inside of a vehicle parked in the sun can quickly reach temperatures of 55 C
3- The first phase of heat stroke can develop within a few minutes in hot environments. If not treated, heat stroke can be deadly
4- Children (and senior citizens) are more susceptible to heat illness than adults
5- Develop the habit of checking for your vehicle keys before closing the door
6- If you find a child left unattended in a vehicle, call 9-1-1 immediately