A firefighter cooling down at Richardson Side Road fire. Photo courtesy of Ottawa Fire Services.
Here’s a list of businesses and public places in Ottawa that have air conditioning, and are free, or low-cost. Add your suggestions to the comments below.
- Shopping malls
- The library
- OC Transpo bus. If you’re lucky enough to get one with A/C turned on, just stay on it for a few hours.
- Movie theatres.
- A tour of Parliament Hill.
- Or a tour of Rideau Hall.
- A church or place of worship
- Skating rinks Several of the city’s rinks have public skating during the summer.
IKEA. As pointed out by our readers - you can browse the furniture, let your kids play in the ball room, and even have a beer or a glass of wine at the restaurant.
Some reader suggestions via Twitter:
- The Beer Store (@stuntmanstu)
- Costco walk in cooler where they keep the lettuce (again, @stuntmanstu)
- Any City of Ottawa community centre (@themagicfridge)
- Carleton University tunnels (@kmennie)
- Chapters book store (@bitofmomsense)
- Arts Court or Timmy’s (@Sarah_A_Mahoney)
- Add your suggestions in the comments below!
(Originally published July 6, 2010; latest update May 28, 2016.)