Photo by Alachua County
A strong labour market in the Ottawa region for the past few months means job opportunities haven’t been this vast in years. If you’re looking for a new job in the Ottawa area, here are some sites and resources to check out.
Happy job hunting!
To suggest an addition to this list, please email us at email@example.com.
- Peter’s New Jobs
- Canadian Job Bank
- Ottawa Citizen - Working.com
- Career Aim
- Facebook Jobs
Major employers in Ottawa
Here is an unofficial list of some of the larger employers in Ottawa, who often may have job opportunities available.
- Federal government
- City of Ottawa
- National Capital Commission
- Algonquin College
- University of Ottawa
- Carleton University
- Calian Group
- Farm Boy
- Hydro Ottawa
An annual list of the top employers in Ottawa is published by Canada’s Top 100 Employers . The latest list is available at canadastop100.com/ottawa.
Here are some outside-the-box ideas we saw listed recently in Ottawa:
- Bagel baker
- Security screening investigator at CSIS
- Personal chauffeur
- Airport ramp attendant
- 911 call centre clerk
Job help and career coaching
There are a variety of resources available to help you find a job, get training or navigate career confusion. Here are some sites to check out.
- Employment Ontario
- Community Employment Resource Centre
- Kanata Kareer Group
- uOttawa Career Development Guide
- Canadian Certified Counsellor directory
- International Coach Federation - Find an Ottawa Career Coach
- Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety
Info on Ottawa’s economy and job market
Via the City of Ottawa:
- As Canada’s capital city, Ottawa is a member of the G8 group of cities
- Fourth largest city in Canada by population
- Second largest city in Ontario by population
- At 2,796 sq. km, Ottawa is larger than the cities of Toronto, Montréal, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton combined
- More than $40 billion GDP
- More than $2.5 billion in venture capital investments since 2000
- One of the principal advanced technology centres in North America, with more than 70,000 high-tech jobs
- More than 25,000 employers
- More than 500,000 jobs
The top five industries, by share of contribution to city GDP, are: High tech; federal government; finance, insurance, real estate; trade; and health and education.