St. Patrick’s Day, 2011 / Photo by Alistair Steele
The Ottawa St. Patrick’s Day Parade returns this year on Saturday, March 16.
The parade will start at City Hall on Laurier Avenue at 11 a.m., travel west on Laurier Avenue, turn left on Bank Street and end at Marché Way (Lansdowne Park). The Ottawa Food Bank will be picking up non-perishable food items and cash donations along the route.
As usual, there will be some road closures for the parade:
- Westbound lanes on Laurier Avenue between Nicholas Street and Elgin Street (7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.)
- Laurier Avenue from City Hall to Bank Street (8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.)
- Bank Street from Laurier Avenue to Marché Way (Lansdowne Park) – (10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.)
OC Transpo routes 5, 6, 7, 11 and 14 will be detoured starting at 10 a.m. until roads reopen. Riders can catch the affected routes along adjacent corridors at temporary bus stops. Please visit octranspo.com for more information and to plan your transit trip.
Roads will reopen and bus routes will go back to normal as the parade passes.
Businesses at Lansdowne will remain open throughout the parade and motorists can access the site either from Queen Elizabeth Driveway or, if approaching from the south along Bank Street, at Exhibition Way.
Useful numbers for St. Patrick’s Day
Other St. Patty’s events
- Check out the Beau’s St. Patrick’s Party at the Aberdeen Pavilion in Lansdowne Park, featuring live music and refreshments. ($)
- The Cumberland Lions will be hosting a Fundraiser St. Patrick’s Dinner & Ceili, to the music of Robin Averill. Doors open at Maple Hall, 2552 Old Montreal Rd. at 5pm, dinner at 6:30. Tickets are $35 and available by emailing email@example.com. ($)
- Enjoy an evening of Irish entertainment with no cover charge at Brigid’s Well in Lowertown on Sunday, 11–11.
- Enjoy beer and bingo, and help bulk up the Parkdale Food Centre cupboards, at Hintonburg Public House on Sunday at 7 p.m. ($)
This article and events listing originally appeared in the Thursday, March 14 edition of our newsletter. Don’t miss our next one by subscribing here.