From February 1 through 18, take in Canada’s iconic winter culture and traditions during the 41st Winterlude.
The classic activities – skating on the Rideau Canal and sliding at the Snowflake Kingdom – make a return along with the additions of several new destinations to enhance your experience in 2019. The ByWard Market, Sparks Street, Downtown Rideau and the Glebe now offer visitors a multitude of indoor and outdoor activities with various themes such as arts, culture, music, theatre, humour, sports, culinary experiences and much more. There’s something for everyone!
The ByWard Market
- Meet at the Millennium Fountain on York Street and enjoy a guided tour of Ottawa’s historic ByWard Market. Take in the sights and sounds of this historic neighbourhood and learn how it came to be what it is today. Discover haunted buildings, spaces of political significance and so much more!
- The kids will love horse-drawn wagon rides, which are free and begin at William Square. Rides are first come first serve, and generally last about 15-20 minutes. The tour isn’t a set route, and takes you through places in the ByWard Market you may have not yet explored!
- Watch hilarity unfold in the 4th Annual ByWard Market Server Games, where teams from ByWard Market restaraunts, bars and cafés compete head-to-head in various server skill challenges with a Winterlude twist! Enjoy the mayhem as servers race around tables, balancing full trays while wearing oversized ski-doo suits and snowshoes; busboys test their skills wearing oversized mittens. Cheer on your favourites from winter patios and seating areas along Clarence Street.
- Watch ice carvers as they face off in a friendly ice-carving championship. Come cheer them on! Presented by the Canadian Ice Carvers’ Society.
- Cap off the day with SubZero Electro DJ Nights at the Rideau Carleton Casino Stage on Febuary 1, 2, 15 and 16 from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- At the Sparks Street Ice-Cade, try your mitts at classic carnival games with a chilly twist. Enjoy a warm beverage as you toss, throw or shuffle. Presented by Sparks Street BIA & Mall Authority.
- On Friday, Febuary 8, kick off the weekend at Ice Cabaret featuring Mado, Montréal’s most famous drag queen! Mado ventures to town to kick-off Capital Pride’s inaugural weekend of outdoor programming as part of Capital Pride’s Winter Edition.
Check out the 41st Winterlude and experience the magic of Canadian winter. Discover more Winterlude events at Canada.ca.