Photo by Alan Wainright via the OttawaStart Flickr Group
Family day is Monday, February 17, 2020
Who gets Family Day?
- Most employees get a day off with pay unless you work for the Federal Government.
- From the Ministry of Labour: “Most employees will be eligible to take off Family Day. Generally if a public holiday falls on a day that would ordinarily be a working day, and the employee is not on vacation, he or she is entitled to the day off work and to be paid public holiday pay.”
- But not everybody in Ottawa gets the day off. The Ministry of Labour’s web site says: “Family Day is a public holiday for the majority of employees under Ontario jurisdiction. Federal government employees fall under federal jurisdiction.“
- More information about Family Day eligibility can be found on the Ministry of Labour web site…
Family Day schedule changes
- Most Ontario retail outlets and grocery stores are closed.
- The Beer Store and LCBO stores are closed. If you need some last-minute refreshments, you can go to a local brewpub like Big Rig, Lowertown Brewery or Clocktower. They sell beer in cans/bottles that you can take home with you.
- Most Quebec retail outlets are open.
- The Rideau Centre is open on Family Day from 10am-6pm; Some shops in the Byward Market are open on Family Day as well; Loblaws on Rideau Street is open 24 hours.
- Shops at Lansdowne Park and in the Glebe are open for business, with special events happening around the neighbourhood during the day. Whole Foods is open from 10am-8pm, and McKeen Metro Glebe (Bank Street) and Loblaws (Isabelle Street) are open too.
- Some Shoppers Drug Mart and IDA locations are open and sell basic groceries.
- The Walmart in Smiths Falls is open 8am-5pm.
- There’s no green bin, recycling, garbage collection on Monday. Family Day’s pick-up will take place on Tuesday. In addition, the collection of green bin, garbage and recycling materials will be delayed by one day for the week of February 20.
- OC Transpo will operate a revised weekday schedule on Family Day with minor reductions on most routes.
- All City of Ottawa parking regulations and restrictions will apply on Family Day.
- Here’s what’s open and closed for the City of Ottawa on Monday…
Need a doctor or emergency care?
- You can find healthcare services open during holidays by checking iamsick.ca
Events and activities
- Winterlude Take your kids for a skate on the Rideau Canal, or to the Snowflake Kingdom at Jacques Cartier Park for the ice slides, or check out the mastodon ice sculpture on Sparks Street. All Winterlude activities are free. More info…
- Jim Watson’s Family Day Skating Party at the Rink of Dreams Mayor Jim Watson invites residents to join him for the Mayor’s Annual Family Day Skating Party from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Sens Rink of Dreams at City Hall. The party will include special guests and fun family activities inside and out. The Tim Hortons Coffee Truck will be serving free coffee and hot chocolate. More info…
- Museums Most museums are open on Monday, and some are offering special programming for Family Day. Check the museum web sites for details. More info…
- Movie theatres Here’s a map of them… are open.
- Ski, snowboard, skate, toboggan Spend some time outside with your family. Our ski and snowboard guide has links to local hills and snow conditions. Our skating guide has links to Ottawa’s indoor and outdoor rinks. And our Toboggan Guide has an interactive map of local toboggan hills.
If you liked this post, please consider subscribing to our free newsletter to get local events and info sent to your inbox weekly.