Some of the advance construction work for the Strandherd Drive widening included watermain installation on Strandherd Drive between Greenbank Road and Jockvale Road. (Photo/City of Ottawa)
Strandherd Drive is being widened to a four-lane cross section from Maravista Drive to Jockvale Road in Barrhaven. The project is approximately 3.3 kilometres in length. It will provide capacity for existing and future traffic volumes during peak periods and facilitate the movement of cyclists and pedestrians through the corridor.
The bulk of this work is expected to commence in 2020 pending approvals, including VIA Rail agreements. The budget approved to date for this project is $57 million. Through future budget approvals, the total investment for the Strandherd Drive Widening is expected to be approximately $100 million.
This project includes:
- Improvements and extensions to watermain and sewers
- The construction of a temporary road detour
- Widening Strandherd Drive to four lanes
- Cycle tracks in both directions
- New sidewalks
- A grade separation over the existing VIA Rail line
Advanced Construction Work
To prepare for the upcoming work in 2020, advanced construction commenced in August 2019 and should be completed by the end of November 2019. The advanced construction work includes:
- A new watermain on Jockvale Road (from Exeter/Tartan Drive to 50 m south of Strandherd Drive)
- A new watermain on Strandherd Drive (from Greenbank Road to Jockvale Road)
- The widening of Strandherd Drive to provide two westbound lanes between Maravista Drive and Kennevale Drive
- The widening of Strandherd Drive to provide an eastbound right-turn lane at Borrisokane Road
- Intersection modifications at Fraser Fields Way to implement left-turn restrictions
Construction is progressing well. Over the past few weeks, extensive work on the Strandherd project has taken place, including:
- Continued work on the installation of a new watermain on Jockvale Road and Strandherd Drive (approximately 75% complete).
- Granular and paving has been laid for the new right-turn lane at Borrisokane Road.
- Granular and paving has been laid for the widening of Strandherd Drive between Kennevale Drive and Maravista Drive.
Over the next few weeks, the following construction work can be expected:
- The watermain installation will continue along Strandherd Drive and Jockvale Road.
- Watermain installation across Strandherd Drive at the Jockvale Road intersection and across Jockvale Road (south of Strandherd Drive).
- Reinstatements of the road, curbs, pathway and landscaping.
- Pavement markings for the new right-turn lane at Borrisokane Road.
- Pavement markings and landscaping for the widening of Strandherd Drive between Kennevale Drive and Maravista Drive.
To accommodate the above-mentioned work, the following traffic impacts will occur:
- Strandherd Drive will remain reduced to one lane in the westbound direction between Greenbank Road and Jockvale Road. One westbound traffic lane and all turning movements are maintained during the day. This will be in place until approximately the end of October.
- Jockvale Road (south of Strandherd Drive near the Home Depot/Best Buy entrance) is reduced to one lane in each direction for a few weeks. Starting on October 6, this access will be closed at night for a week.
- Intermittent lane closures on Jockvale Road between Exeter/Tartan Drive and Strandherd Drive.
- Starting on Tuesday October 15, Strandherd Drive will be reduced to one lane in each direction at night for about 1 week. Left turns from Strandherd Drive to Jockvale (north and south) will also be prohibited at night.
There will be intermittent lane reductions on Strandherd Drive, in the westbound direction between Kennevale Drive and Maravista Drive as well in the eastbound direction at Borrisokane Road during working hours.
Motorists and cyclists are reminded to share the road in lane reductions and lane width reductions and to exercise caution and slow down when driving through active construction sites. Pedestrians are reminded to exercise caution and obey all temporary signage near construction activities.
The design of the Strandherd Drive Widening project is progressing well. We are still on track to begin construction in 2020.
A pre-qualification process for construction has been completed and firms have been shortlisted for the opportunity to bid on the construction contract.
The City of Ottawa Noise By-law (2017-255) allows construction activity to occur weekdays between 7 am and 10 pm. On Saturdays, work is permitted between 7 am and 10 pm while Sunday and Statutory holiday work is allowed between 9 am and 10 pm.
In order to facilitate the watermain work across Strandherd Drive and minimize impacts to the Strandherd Drive and Jockvale Road intersection, the City of Ottawa has approved night work between October 6 and 18.