[caption id=“attachment_4878” align=“aligncenter” width=“580”]
The Bytowne Cinema. Photo by Caroline Fournier .
Caroline says: “Long gone are the days of the single room cinema and going to the Bytowne is like walking back to your grandma’s house … old but yet comforting.”[/caption]
Ottawa Theatres – Independent
* [ Bytowne ](http://www.bytowne.ca/) * [ Mayfair Theatre ](http://mayfairtheatre.ca/) * [ Ottawa Family Cinema ](https://www.familycinema.ca/) Non-profit registered charity, all proceeds beyond operating costs are given back to the community. Open from mid-September to early May, except Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.
Ottawa Theatres – Chains
* [ CINÉ+ ](http://www.historymuseum.ca/visit/cineplus/) (Museum of Civilization IMAX) * [ Cineplex Odeon Barrhaven ](http://www.cinemaclock.com/theatres/ont/Ottawa/Barrhaven.html) * [ Cinéstarz Orleans ](http://cinestarz.ca/cinestarz-orleans/) * [ Coliseum Ottawa ](http://www.cinemaclock.com/theatres/ont/Ottawa/Coliseum_Ottawa.html) * [ Landmark Theatres Kanata ](https://www.landmarkcinemas.com/showtimes/kanata) (formerly Empire Theatres and AMC Kanata 24) * [ Landmark Orleans ](http://www.landmarkcinemas.com/orleans) (formerly Empire) * [ Imagine Cinema - St. Laurent Shopping Centre ](https://www.cinemaclock.com/theatres/imagine-cinemas-st-laurent-centre) (formerly Rainbow) * [ Scotiabank Theatre Gloucester ](https://www.cinemaclock.com/theatres/scotiabank-ottawa) (formerly SilverCity) * [ South Keys ](http://www.cinemaclock.com/theatres/ont/Ottawa/South_Keys.html)
** Gatineau Theatres ** – Chains
* [ Cinéma 9 Gatineau ](http://www.cinemaclock.com/theatres/ont/Ottawa/Cinema_9_Gatineau.html) * [ Cinéma des Galeries Aylmer ](http://www.cinemaclock.com/theatres/ont/Ottawa/Cinema_des_Galeries_Aylmer.html) * [ StarCité Hull ](http://www.cinemaclock.com/theatres/ont/Ottawa/StarCite_Hull.html)
Around the Valley
* [ Algonquin Cinemas ](https://www.cinemaclock.com/theatres/algonquin-cinemas) (Pembroke) * [ Galaxy ](https://www.cinemaclock.com/theatres/galaxy-cornwall) (Cornwall) * [ O'Brien Theatre ](http://www.obrientheatre.com/site/) (Arnprior)
The current building opened as a cinema in 1929 and was first of the O’Brien chain, owned by Renfrew entrepreneur M. J. O’Brien, according to the theatre website.
* [ O'Brien Theatre ](http://obrientheatre.com/site/index.cfm?TID=2&page=Home) (Renfrew)
* [ Troyes Cinema ](http://www.troyescinema.com/) (Petawawa)
* [ Cine-Parc Templeton (Gatineau) ](http://www.cineparc.ca/) * [ Port Elmsley Drive-In (near Perth) ](http://www.portelmsleydrivein.com/)
* [ OttawaStart Blog: Movies ](http://ottawastart.com/tag/movies/) * [ A.C.T. Ottawa ](http://www.actottawa.com/) A.C.T. Ottawa (Acting for Cinema and Television), is a local acting school, that posts a list of [ auditions ](http://actottawa.com/?cat=15) happening in the Ottawa area. You might be surprised at the number of productions looking for help: there’s usually at least one audition each week in the region. But don’t get excited about a Hollywood-sized paycheque — most of the parts pay very little or nothing at all. * [ Anime in Ottawa ](http://ottawa-anime.org/) * [ Canadian Film Institute ](http://www.cfi-icf.ca/) * [ Centretown Movies Outdoor Film Fest ](http://www.centretownmovies.org/) Do you remember drive-in theatres? This festival is the next best thing — but without the steamy windshields. Hundreds of people bring their lawn chairs and blankets down to Dundonald Park (near Somerset & Kent/Lyon) to see some great films in the great outdoors. Admission is pay-what-you-can. * [ Independant Film Co-operative of Ottawa (IFCO) ](http://www.ifco.ca/) * [ Ottawa Film Society ](http://www.filmfilmfilm.ca/) * [ Wakefield Doc Festival ](http://wakefielddocfest.ca/)