|Photo by Glen Gower|
The next time your neighbour wakes you up on a weekend morning with some early morning lawn mowing, you can politely inform him (or her) of City of Ottawa Noise By-law number 2004-253. Here are a few things you can’t do:
- Operate power equipment such as chainsaws, lawn mowers, leaf blowers, tools and similar devices between 9:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. on weekdays, or 9:00 a.m. on Saturdays, Sundays and statutory holidays).
- Ring a bell, blow a horn or shout in a manner that disturbs others.
- Runn equipment such as air conditioners, heat pumps, compressors, exhaust systems, and similar devices with noise exceeding 50 decibels when measured at the point of reception.
- Operate construction vehicles or equipment between 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m., or 9:00 a.m. on Sunday and statutory holidays.
- Operate musical instruments, radios, TVs, stereos and similar devices between 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. (or 9:00 a.m. on Saturday, or 12:00pm on Sunday and statutory holidays), that disturbs others.