Students at some public schools may have to go elsewhere, if the board accepts a staff recommendation to close eight schools.
Two reports released Wednesday recommended the closure of:
- D. Aubrey Moodie Intermediate School.
- Greenbank Middle School.
- Leslie Park Public School; students would attend Briargreen Public School.
- Grant Public School; alternative students would attend Churchill Public School.
- Century Public School; students would either be sent to Carleton Heights Public School or Meadowlands Public School.
- Regina Street Public School; students would attend D. Roy Kennedy Public School.
- JH Putman Public School; English students would attend Pinecrest Public School and Early French Immersion students would sent to either Agincourt Road Public School or Woodroffe Avenue Public School.
- Rideau High School; Grade 9 through 12 students would attend Gloucester High School.
Staff say the schools are under-enrolled and an inefficient use of resources to keep open. The Ministry of Education says there are a total of 11,500 empty student spaces across the entire OCDSB.
If adopted, the changes would take effect September 2017.
A final decision will be made in early March. Public input will be taken.