Who has the best fish & chips in Ottawa?

A couple weeks ago Dwayne Brown posted this delicious photo on his blog:

Fish Friday at the Cat. Photo by Dwayne Brown, used by permission.

It’s a photo of the fish and chips at the Cheshire Cat Pub in Carp, and ever since I saw that photo I’ve been craving a big plate of battered haddock and crispy fries.  I asked our readers on Twitter for their picks for the best fish and chips places in Ottawa, and here are their recommendations, in no particular order:

Where else?  Add your favourite spot in the comments below.

See also: Ottawa Food Guide
If you liked this post, please consider subscribing to our blog via email, Twitter, Facebook or RSS. Thank you.

OttawaStart Staff

feedback@ottawastart.com

10 Responses

1. Cat says:

Do any of those serve the Fish 'n' Chips on newspaper? I checked the menus, but they didn't say…

2. Steph says:

I find the Tartan Pub on Innes Road in Orleans pretty good too!

3. G says:

Well Cat… here are some answers from our Twitter readers re: newsprint:<br /><br />Sarah says: &quot;The Landing in Kemptville uses real newspaper. Also does NL style dressing.&quot;<br /><br />Rita says: &quot;Whalesbone has funky brown paper takeout bags and such not nspaper&quot;<br /><br />Kaitlin: &quot;there was a discussion on @ottawafoodies about this awhile ago. newsprint used nowadays

4. Anonymous says:

Give Cat&#39;s Fish &amp; Chips a try…<br />319 St Laurent Blvd

• OMG IT WAS AWFUL, We did try Cat&#39;s Fish and Chips. Don&#39;t bother trying the food out, it&#39;s not worth it at all, you&#39;re not missing out on anything. My husband and I went there one evening for take out fish and chips. The fish was wrapped in old newspaper (dirty) the fish was falling apart and soooo greasy, the potatoes were cold and way too fat, they tasted like &#39;old grease&#

5. alallanduman@gmail.com says:

I went for the first and LAST time to Cat&#39;s on St. Laurent at Beechwood. It was disgusting and overpriced. (I think $15 for fish and chips for one person is too much.)<br /><br />The fish was cooked so much that the batter was dark, dark brown and the haddock had no flavour left; the chips were unpeeled potatoes cooked so much that there was no potato left on the inside; the cole slaw was

6. Anonymous says:

re: Alallanduman<br />I think so facts may be in order. I have a menu here, and the Fish &amp; Chips at Cat&#39;s are priced at $12.92 for a huge portion (Same as served at the Glen) with alot of chips too. The fish is battered in a dark beer making the batter dark.<br /><br />As for the decor. If you want to eat at a fine dining place, then you don&#39;t go to a F &amp; C place. The decor is

7. Anonymous says:

so agree with Alallanduman!!!

8. Anonymous says:

Lapointe&#39;s in Bell&#39;s Corners is disgusting. Go to Westboro or Kanata. Different owners.

9. Anonymous says:

Quinn&#39;s Pub on Bank Street !