Photo: “Alone” by Derek Mellon, from the OttawaStart Flickr Group.
Corrections or suggestions for thist list? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monday, May 23 is a stat holiday in Ontario and Quebec.
Groceries & Beer & Shopping:
- Most grocery stores & retail outlets in Ontario are closed on Monday.
- If you do need last-minute groceries, many Shoppers Drug Mart stores open on the holidays, along with some IDA stores.
- Most stores in the Byward Market are open for business on Monday.
- The Rideau Centre is open on Monday (10am-6pm), but other Ontario malls are closed.
- Some of the grocery stores in Chinatown (Somerset Street West) will be open.
- Over in Gatineau, Monday’s known as “Fête des Patriotes”. To celebrate, most businesses are closed but malls and grocery stores stay open.
- Beer Stores are closed on Monday. All the big LCBO stores are closed on Monday. Some LCBO agency stores may be open on Monday, and some LCBO’s will have extended hours on the weekend. They don’t call it May 2-4 for nothing.
- Most SAQ stores (wine, liquor, beer) are open on Monday, so for emergency Monday beer runs, go to Gatineau.
- Many garden stores — independent stores and big box garden centres — will open on Monday. Call ahead to confirm.
- The Walmart in Smith Falls is open on Monday from 8am-5pm.
- Banks are closed on Monday.
Need a doctor or emergency care?
- You can find healthcare services open during holidays by checking iamsick.ca
Entertainment and Events and Fireworks
- The Tulip Festival continues all weekend.
- FIREWORKS: There are several public fireworks events in Ottawa – here’s a list.
- Check out our Events Calendar for more event suggestions.
- Most National Museums are open.
- Movie theatres are open.
- No recycling or garbage or green bin collection on Monday. All pick-ups are delayed by a day for the rest of the week.
- OC Transpo operates on a Sunday schedule on Victoria Day
- City Hall and Ottawa Client Service Centres are closed on Monday.
- Many pools, fitness centres and some arenas are open for business but regular programs have modified schedules.
- City-run libraries, archives, and cultural centres are closed on Monday.
- Here’s a press release from the City of Ottawa about other schedule and service changes…
To add to this list (or make a correction) please email email@example.com or add a comment below.