Today we went to check out Merveilles de sable (Wonders of Sand) at Lac-Beauchamp in Gatineau. Good citizens of Gatineau, you’ve been keeping this a secret for far too long. We had a blast — and can’t believe that we haven’t heard of this before. (It’s been a yearly event since 2001.) A few things that our family enjoyed:
- Sand sculptures. There were amazing professional sand sculptures (pictured above and below), and an amateur competition as well.
- A beautiful beach, a sunny summer day, warm water, party tunes blasting.
- Free boat rentals – canoes, kayaks and paddle boats.
- Reasonably-priced food and beer, a bouncy castle for kids, short waits at the porta-potties, lots of helpful volunteers, totally bilingual service the whole day
- Cheap. $15 got us on-site parking and admission for 2 adults. Kids under 12 are free.
Aside from a bit of sunburn it was a perfect summer Sunday. See you there next year.
Related: Ottawa Beaches & Swimming Guide