The Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) will begin work on Monday, November 9 to widen sidewalks on the west side of the Eagleson Road Bridge over Highway 417 and its approaches. The construction is scheduled to be completed in mid-December.
As part of the construction activities, MTO will need to reduce southbound Eagleson Road to one lane in the work area. The eastbound and westbound on-ramps to Highway 417 from southbound Eagleson Road will also be closed overnight from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. for approximately five weeks.
Pedestrians will be redirected to the east sidewalk during construction.
The work will deliver a better walking environment for pedestrians crossing the Eagleson Bridge by widening the sidewalk on the west side of the bridge and its approaches and eliminating concrete drainage outlets on the approaches to provide a flat surface
Portable Variable Message Signs are already in place to advise motorists of the upcoming lane reduction and ramp closures so they can plan alternate routes.
With all of the construction-related activities underway, residents are encouraged to be flexible with commuting times, stagger work hours or use alternative means for travel. The public is asked to consider options such as transit, walking, cycling or carpooling.
The City of Ottawa has tools on ottawa.ca to help motorists and transit users plan their routes and manage their commute including:
- OttawaNav– the City’s mobile application for real time construction and traffic information
- City of Ottawa Traffic Report– outlining citywide road closures, traffic restrictions and detours
- Travel Plannerat octranspo.com – transit users can chart and plan routes
- Interactive traffic map– showing construction areas and live traffic cameras throughout the city
- Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) cameras
- Cycling mapsand information – detailing bicycle pathways and lanes throughout the city
For current information about traffic and construction around the city, visit ottawa.ca.