Tourist calls Ottawa “tawdry”, threatens to never come back

ADVERTISEMENTS

Here’s a letter to the editor from today’s Citizen (thanks to Matthew Pearson for pointing it out).  Rundown, unfriendly and mean, I can take.  But tawdry?  That really crosses the line.

See also: Ottawa Newspapers Guide

OttawaStart Staff

feedback@ottawastart.com

6 Responses

1. Kevin Bourne says:

My friend from Newfoundland visited Ottawa a month ago and found that people in both Ottawa and Gatineau were more friendly than in Newfoundland. I'd be upset at finding that ticket on my car, especially if I didn't see the sign, but to base your whole perspective on the city by one incident (and on not being able to find parking) is small minded.

2. Anonymous says:

Last time I checked, the City of Ottawa had a forgiveness program in place where out-of-town visitors could have parking tickets revoked. All they have to do is contact City Hall altho' this program may no longer be in effect. Kind of a petty thing to base your judgement of an entire city on IMNSHO.

3. Anonymous says:

Interestingly, Bethsheila does invite people to &quot;Join [her], for a one-of-a-kind, up-close and personal introduction to Cape Breton&#39;s natural history!&quot; http://www.bing.com/search?q=%22bethsheila+kent%22&amp;src=IE-SearchBox&amp;Form=IE8SRC<br /><br />Her name was interesting. I had to look it up. So next time you&#39;re in Cape Breton you know who to call…

4. Lia says:

I work in the market — there&#39;re signs. And how. But tourists always miss stuff that locals see easily. I&#39;m interested in the unmentioned (or edited out) stuff. Mean? What the heck happened? She sounds really rattled. Can&#39;t just be over a ticket. Too bad she had such a rotten time.

5. G says:

I can totally understand the complaint about the bad parking signage. It was the name calling that got my back up.

6. Anonymous says:

I can sympathize with the parking thing, but it&#39;s a danger in any city. I hate pay and display, but I guess it&#39;s the norm now. As for &#39;tawdry&#39;, I&#39;m not sure what that was about. Maybe she saw some bimbos and jocks outside a nearby bar. Again, that&#39;s par for the course when you&#39;re outside a bar on a Saturday night.