Info about the 2014 Municipal Election in Ottawa - candidates, voting, links and resources
News Posted by OttawaStart on October 19, 2014
Ottawa’s next municipal elections will be held on Monday, October 27, 2014. We'll be voting a mayor, city councillors, and school board trustees.
- A list of nominated candidates can be found on OttWatch.ca. You'll find candidates, links to their web sites, and other useful tools for asking questions and getting information.
- The Ottawa Citizen has a good list of all-candidates debates in the region.
- Rogers 22 is also running a series of televised debates for each ward. Here's a schedule.
- Voting takes place on Monday, October 27, 2014.
- Advance voting takes place on Saturday, October 18 from 10am-5pm. More info...
- In order to vote, as of voting day you must be:
- a resident of the City of Ottawa, or an owner or tenant of land in the City, or the spouse of such an owner or tenant;
- a Canadian citizen;
- at least 18 years old; and
- not prohibited from voting by law.
(full voting rules are here)
- All voters will be required to present a prescribed proof of identity and residence in order to receive a ballot at their voting location. Voters who cannot present an acceptable proof of identity and residence will have to make a statutory declaration.
- Voting by proxy. Any elector who is unable to vote in the municipal election on October 27, or on any of the Advance Vote Days, can appoint a proxy to cast a ballot on his or her behalf, starting at 2 p.m. on Friday, September 12. (more info)
- Are you on the voters list? The City of Ottawa’s Voters’ List is compiled from information from Ontario’s Municipal Property Assessment Corporation. The Voters’ List will be available for you to review at the City of Ottawa’s Elections Office (1221 Cyrville Road, Unit B), Ottawa City Hall (110 Laurier Avenue West), and all Client Service Centres from Tuesday, September 2 to Monday, October 27, 2014. You should check the Voters’ List to ensure that your name, address and school-support designation are listed correctly.
- More info about voting, eligibility, etc. is here...
Related: OttawaStart City Hall Guide...
The latest community news headlines
Search our news archive
Subscribe to OttawaStart Community News
The latest on Twitter