Lace 'em up. Photo by Monty Wesley.
Ottawa Skating Guide
Our city is a great place to skate, with dozens of indoor rinks and arenas, and countless volunteers who maintain community rinks in parks and backyards. And, of course, there's the Rideau Canal, the world's longest skating rink.
- Ottawa Gymnastics Centre
Our mission is to inspire enthusiasm for and lifelong involvement in gymnastics by providing positive and diverse programs. Whether you're interested in recreation or competitive programs, adult drop-in classes, special needs programs, camps, birthday parties or private lessons - OGC is the Place to Be! Check us out at www.ottawagymnasticscentre.ca
- Studio X Ottawa Inc.
Studio X Ottawa Inc. is your "one stop" eclectic dance, fitness and space rental centre! We offer eclectic range of dance classes and Fitness Classes Ottawa to children, adults and older adults. We also rent the space to teach, practice, rehearse, have any type of social gatherings or corporate events.
- Rideau Canal Skateway Ice Conditions App
Get Rideau Canal Skateway ice conditions on your phone with this mobile app. Info is updated about twice a day, in early morning and early afternoon. Optimized for smartphone screens including iPhone, Android and Blackberry. Browse to: http://thebluefactor.com/canal/
Make your business stand out from the rest for as low as $15/month. Click here to add your Featured Listing...
Skating on the Rideau Canal
- In the winter, the Ottawa portion of the Rideau Canal turns into the world's largest skating rink (7.8km long), and is the focal point of Winterlude.
- The National Capital Commission maintains the skateway, and it's usually open from late-December/early January until late February/early March.
- Here's a link showing daily ice conditions on the Rideau Canal.
- Here's a map of the Rideau Canal Skateway, showing parking locations, change huts, food, and more.
- For more info about skating on the Rideau Canal, you can visit: Rideau Canal Skateway or call 613- 239-5234
- This is the first full season for the Rink of Dreams at City Hall. It's an oudoor ice surface with artificial refrigeration. To put it another way, this rink has great ice even when it's a bit warm outside. Weather permitting the rink is open every day, from 6 a.m. until 11 p.m., including holidays, until the end of the skating season in March 2014. A heated change hut at Marion Dewar Plaza is open every day from 8 a.m. until 11 p.m.
- Another great/interesting/unique place to skate outdoors is at the Rideau Hall Outdoor Skating Rink. This historic ice surface dates back to the 1870s. The rink is open from January to March, with public skating on Saturdays and Sundays from noon until 5pm. More info about Rideau Hall's skating rink...
- Ottawa has 247 outdoor neighbourhood rinks, ranging from "puddles" (small ice surfaces without boards) to full "rinks" (full boards around the rink). A complete list of rinks, along with amenities and schedules, is available here.
- Here's a list of all the outdoor rinks in Ottawa.
- ...and Ottawa Rink Conditions is a user-driven site that relies on visitors to provide updates on outdoor rink conditions. You can post updates on your local rink or check out what other people are saying.
- There are many more outdoor rinks in Gatineau, too. Here's a list from the Ville de Gatineau.
- For a listing of local rinks, plus schedules for public skating and information about lessons, check out the City of Ottawa's Skating page, including a search tool for checking public skating schedules.
- A few other indoor rinks not directly run by the City of Ottawa include: Bell Sensplex, RA Centre, Carleton University Ice House, University of Ottawa Sports Complex and Scotiabank Place.
- There are many more arenas in Gatineau, too. Here's a list from the Ville de Gatineau.
- Weekend public skating is free at City of Ottawa indoor facilities until April 6, 2014, thanks to an initiative from RBC. More info...
- Here's a great searchable map showing skating times in Ottawa and Gatineau, all in one spot.
- Related: Ottawa Hockey Guide
- Gloucester Skating Club
- Minto Skating Club
- Nepean Skating Club
- Ottawa Pacers Speedskating Club
- Rideau Skating Club
Skate Rentals & Sales & Sharpening
- During Winterlude you can usually rent skates and get the sharpened on the Rideau Canal.
- Figure 8 Skate Specialists
- Fosters Sports
- Kunstadt Sports
- Play It Again Sports
The latest on Twitter