River Road is closed between Earl Armstrong Road and Leitrim Road due to the rehabilitation and construction of culverts in the area. The work is expected to last until mid-November.
Road closure and detour signs will be installed and maintained throughout the construction period. The road will remain open to local traffic.
There may also be temporary lane reductions along River Road between Tewsley Drive and Honey Gables Drive during the construction period.
During construction, there will be a greater need for all road users to share the road safely. When navigating through the area, be cautious and watch out for construction vehicles and workers, pedestrians, cyclists and other motorists.
With all of the construction-related activities underway, residents are encouraged to be flexible with commuting times, stagger work hours or use alternative means for travel. The public is asked to consider options such as transit, walking, cycling or carpooling.
The City of Ottawa has tools to help motorists and transit users plan their routes and manage their commute, including:
- OttawaNav – the City’s mobile application for real-time construction and traffic information
- City of Ottawa Traffic Report – outlining citywide road closures, traffic restrictions and detours
- Travel Planner at octranspo.com – transit users can chart and plan routes
- Interactive traffic map – showing construction areas and live traffic cams throughout the city
- Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) cameras along Highway 417
- Cycling maps and information – detailing bicycle pathways and lanes throughout the city
This work is part of Ottawa on the Move, which is about keeping our community and economy moving forward through strategic investments in a number of transportation, water, and sewer projects to build a better city and create jobs. For current traffic and construction information around the city, visit ottawa.ca.