|Exhibit A: The Veteran Great Glebe Garage Sale Warrior. Photo by @ottguy, used by permission.|
I would have liked to have been at the Great Glebe Garage Sale this morning but I was stuck in Stittsville chaufeurring the kids to various activities. (Stittsville’s not too different than the Glebe, you know. We have a main street, lots of families, a large sports stadium nearby. But no Starbucks.)
But with so many people tweeting about it, I felt like I was almost there:
- People tweeted about their purchases. The first I saw was from @beisan, with a classic garage sale find:
- Some other interesting finds I saw: board games, a 25-cent softball, NHL 2009, a typewriter, Admiral Ackbar, a blue mannequin, an old bra, organic soap, a stuffed beaver, leprechaun towels, Windows 95 manual, a really bizarre flip flop, a Sens jersey, vinyl, assorted pink stuff, the Sarah Palin book, a $1,349 scooter, illegal VHS copies of MLB games, a boombox and a cow puppet.
- This guy got an AT-AT (photo by @kate_fox):
- At First and Lyon they were selling street signs for $85 (photo from @Ivy_O)
- @tonysabad found a Jimmy Buffet record and @emmagodmere found a Blondie record
- Fridge magnets, because you can never have enough fridge magnets (photo by alxweber)
- Others were using Twitter to find bargains, like @mclabradore: “Do you have (or spot) quality, DRY, non-fiction books at the #GGGS ? Twt-msg me the address.”
- Jim Watson was there, of course. (Is there anywhere Jim isn’t on the weekend? Photo by @YasmenHasan)
- There was traffic chaos, crowded buses, and full bike parking. And a cement mixer in the way and an illegal parking job.
- ..some, like @shophaven, were promoting their sales: “Were at the Glebe garage sale on Third Avenue come by and say Hi.”
- There was plenty of advice, like this from @itsjhyde: “Don’t try on hats at #gggs #headlice”
- There was lots of talk about food, like the taco bar at Feleena’s, hot chocolate croissants on Clemow, pulled pork on 2nd, and some kind of delicious looking mystery food.
- They played the accordion (photo from @hilaryduffcu … and look at all the garbage!)
- There was debate about Lansdowne Park, of course. And more bad rapture jokes.
- Still others, like @spencerkeys, surveyed the scene and made Star Wars references: “You will never see a more wretched hive of scum and villainy #gggs“
See also: Ottawa Garage Sales on Twitter