Instagrammin’ by David Johnson. A young girl on the shoulders of her dad takes a photo with an iPhone of the chaos on Sparks Street.
How do you want to celebrate New Year’s Eve in Ottawa? With friends and family? With your kids? A formal black tie event? Dancing and champagne? Here are some suggestion for things to do on New Year’s in Ottawa on December 31, 2016.
Are there fireworks on New Year’s Eve?
- Yes! For the first time in quite a while there are fireworks planned for Parliament Hill. The Canadian Heritage department is planning a big show to welcome in Canada’s 150th birthday. At precisely 8:17pm, (20:17, get it?), “a spectacular pyro-musical display will light up the sky of Canada’s Capital Region with fireworks launched simultaneously from Nepean Point, Alexandra Bridge and Parliament Hill. The fireworks will be accompanied by Canadian music that will transport the audience through time and revisit different historical eras of our country over the past 150 years. There will be different spots in Gatineau and Ottawa offering a great view of the fireworks, including the Canadian Museum of History and Major’s Hill Park.” BONUS: There will also be fireworks at midnight too!
(You can also watch from the comfort of your couch. CBC is carrying the tv show live starting at 11pm.)
- Just before the ceremony on Parliament Hill, there’s a special ceremony at City Hall featuring the lighting of an Ottawa 2017 cauldron. “The sparking of this special landmark will cue hundreds of Ottawa-area students to form a 750 metre Fire of Friendship Torch Relay, connecting young people from diverse backgrounds and weaving a line of youthful optimism to Parliament Hill,” say City officials.
- There are fireworks at a few other places too:
– Lansdowne Park – fireworks as part of Hogman-eh, at midnight right after Auld Lang Syne.
– Centrepointe – over in Nepean, city councillor Rick Chiarelli hosts an annual alcohol-free family event at Ben Franklin Place (the old Nepean City Hall) in Centrepointe. The fireworks usually start at 10:00pm so you can get your kids home early for bed.
– There are no fireworks this year on Sparks Street, or any other event programming for that matter. We’ve heard secondhand that they decided not to compete with the event on Parliament Hill.
Even More New Year’s Eve 2016 Events
- OC Transpo bus service is free on New Year’s Eve after 4:30pm
- Plus: A list of what’s open & closed on New Year’s Day, January 1, 2017