Instagrammin’ by David Johnson. A young girl on the shoulders of her dad takes a photo with an iPhone of the chaos on Sparks Street.
How do you want to celebrate New Year’s Eve in Ottawa? With friends and family? With your kids? A formal black tie event? Dancing and champagne? Here are some suggestion for things to do on New Year’s in Ottawa on December 31, 2017.
Are there fireworks on New Year’s Eve?
- Yes! The Canadian Heritage department will have a fireworks show on the Hill at 9:15 p.m., 10:15 p.m. and midnight. There will also be public skating on the Hill rink with extended hours through midnight and the multimedia show Christmas Lights Across Canada will repeat throughout the night. Live musical performances were cancelled due to the cold weather.
- Just before the party on Parliament Hill, there’s a special ceremony inside City Hall to close out the year. There will be a video showing about the past year of events and a performance by DJ Rise Ashen. There’s even yoga! Go outside to the Ottawa 2017 flame at 8:17 p.m. (20:17 on the 24-hour clock) for a lighting ceremony.
- There are fireworks at a few other places too:
– Lansdowne Park – fireworks as part of Hogman-eh, at midnight right after Auld Lang Syne.
– Centrepointe – over in Nepean, city councillor Rick Chiarelli hosts an annual alcohol-free family event at Ben Franklin Place (the old Nepean City Hall) in Centrepointe. The fireworks start at 10:00pm so you can get your kids home early for bed.
– There are no fireworks this year on Sparks Street, or any other event programming for that matter.
Even More New Year’s Eve 2017 Events
- OC Transpo bus service is free on New Year’s Eve after 5 p.m.
- Plus: A list of what’s open & closed on New Year’s Day, January 1, 2018