Monday, October 10 is Thanksgiving Monday in Ottawa which means a long weekend for most people. Here’s a list of what’s open and closed. To add to this list please email firstname.lastname@example.org or (even better) tweet us @OttawaStart!
- Most stores are open on Sunday, but closed on Monday.
- Most grocery stores are closed. The Loblaws and Metro on Rideau Street are open 24 hours. The Metro in Perth is open 9am-6pm.
- Malls are closed, except for Rideau Centre (open 10am-6pm), Les Galleries de Hull (Gatineau) and Les Promenades de l’Outaouais (Gatineau). Costco is open in Gatineau.
- Most Shoppers Drug Mart stores are open, some as late as midnight. Most IDA’s are open during the day as well.
- Beer Stores and LCBOs are closed. However, some LCBO agency stores in outlying areas will be open.
- (If you need alcohol, check out the SAQ in Quebec — most of them are open.)
- Many shops and restaurants in the Byward Market are open.
- Stores in the Glebe are allowed to open during holidays, but you should check with the store before leaving.
- Most of Ottawa’s museums are open including the National Gallery.
- Movie theatres are open
- Banks are closed.
- No Canada Post mail service on Monday.
- It’s a good weekend to go find a pumpkin.
- The colours are beautiful this weekend for a trip to Gatineau Park.
- The Annual Biology Butterfly Show is on all weekend at Carleton University.
- For more events and activities happening on Thanksgiving Weekend, check out the OttawaStart Thanksgiving Event Round-Up…
Need a doctor or emergency care?
- You can find healthcare services open during holidays by checking iamsick.ca
- No garbage, recycling or composting on Monday. Monday’s pickup will take place on Tuesday. In addition, the collection of garbage, green bin, leaf and yard waste and recycling materials will be delayed by one day for the remainder of the week
- OC Transpo is operating on a Sunday schedule.
- Some pools, arenas and fitness centres will be open on the Civic Holiday for public swimming skating and fitness classes with modified schedules. Check with ottawa.ca or the facility of your choice for details.
- Most City of Ottawa programming at arts centres, archives, galleries, theatres and museums will not be offered, however, clients should check ottawa.ca or their facility to confirm.
- Libraries are closed.
- 3-1-1 service is open for urgent requests
- City Hall and Client Service Centres are closed
- The Provincial Offences Court is closed.
- Here’s a press release from the City of Ottawa about other schedule and service changes…
To add to this list please email email@example.com