On July 10, 2015, Canadian Heritage, in collaboration with its exclusive sponsor Manulife, will launch Northern Lights. This entirely new 30-minute experience of sound and light is a thrilling thematic journey through Canada’s history presented in spectacular detail against the backdrop of the Parliament Buildings.
Today, the Honourable Shelly Glover, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages—joined by representatives from Manulife and Idées au cube, the Montréal-based producers of the show—revealed the name and details about this one-of-a-kind production in a national landmark setting.
As momentum builds toward Canada 150 celebrations, Northern Lights reflects the important milestones in Canadian history.
· The inaugural season for Northern Lights runs from July 10 to September 12, 2015.
· Northern Lights is a free bilingual show that will be presented each night on Parliament Hill for the next five summers (2015 to 2019).
· Using state-of-the-art digital technology, the show illuminates Canadian stories of nation-building, partnership, discovery, valour, pride and vision for a country.
· It is the sixth edition of the sound and light show on Parliament Hill since 1984.
· Over its five-year run, the previous show, Mosaika: Canada through the eyes of its people, was seen by more than 1.1 million spectators, garnered 13 national and international awards, and was twice named one of the top 100 festivals and events in Ontario.
· Northern Lights is a perfect activity for a summer evening and a must-see attraction in Canada’s Capital Region—the only place to experience the show.
· Manulife is the exclusive sponsor of Northern Lights for its five-year run.
“Northern Lights highlights defining moments in our history that have shaped this country and contributed to our sense of pride in what Canada represents: a strong, proud and free nation. We look forward to July, when this one-of-a-kind show launches on Parliament Hill for all to enjoy.”
— The Honourable Shelly Glover, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages
“Manulife is pleased to be the exclusive sponsor of Northern Lights—an inspired celebration of key figures, events and achievements from Canadian history. Supporting programs that promote Canadian culture and pride, such as the sound and light show, furthers the vision and leadership of our first president, Canada’s first prime minister, Sir John A. Macdonald, and reflects our character as a strong, reliable, trustworthy and forward-thinking company.”
— Christopher Donnelly, Vice-President and Counsel, Industry, Regulatory and Government Affairs, Manulife
“We at Idées au cube are thrilled for the opportunity to pour our talent and creativity into Northern Lights, a major Canadian production that will be seen for the next five years on the Parliament Buildings. Projects like this foster innovation and growth in Canada’s arts community.”
— Nathalie Gélinas, Vice-President and Producer, Idées au cube