Ontario is recognizing safe and inclusive schools across the province, supporting student achievement and well-being.
Nominations are now open for the 2016-17 Premier’s Awards for Accepting Schools. These awards recognize Safe and Accepting Schools teams that have demonstrated initiative, creativity and leadership in promoting a safe, inclusive and accepting school climate.
Every school in Ontario has a Safe and Accepting Schools team that includes the principal, at least one teacher, student, parent, non-teaching staff member, and one community partner. Anyone in a school community can nominate a team and the deadline for nominations is February 17, 2017.
Promoting student well-being and creating a positive school climate is part of Ontario’s plan to build an education system where all students and educators can thrive and reach their full potential.
- Since 2010, the Premier’s Awards for Accepting Schools has recognized 60 schools across Ontario that demonstrate initiative, creativity and leadership in areas related to student voice, parent engagement, community partnerships, learning environments, social-emotional environment and physical environment.
- Every school in Ontario is required to have a Safe and Accepting Schools team.
- Since 2013, the government has invested more than $550 million in safe schools and equal and inclusive education to support the work of school boards and school communities. In 2016-17, an additional $65 million will be invested.
- Launched in 2009, Ontario’s award-winning Equity and Inclusive Education Strategy aims to help the education community identify and address discriminatory biases and systemic barriers to support the achievement and well-being of all students.
- November 20-26 is Bullying Awareness and Prevention Week.
- November 20 is United Nations Universal Children’s Day.