Groundhog at Strathcona Park. Photo by Sarolta Gyoker.
Ottawa Nature, Science and Gardens Guide
Ottawa owes its existence to nature. Our city is built where the Ottawa and Rideau rivers meet. Our early economy was based on our forests. And today, our recreation and tourism industries are dependent on our natural resources.
- Summer Camps in the Ottawa area
A big list of Ottawa-area summer camps, including day camps and stay-over camps. There's a broad range of camps offered, from sports to arts, rock band camps, horse riding camps, leaderships camps, radio camps and pretty just about any other category you can think of.
- Swimming pools, beaches and waterparks in Ottawa
Ottawa has four public beaches, more than 50 wading pools, 9 outdoor pools, and 20 public swimming complexes. (And that's not even counting all of the facilities on the Gatineau side!)
- Make your business stand out from the rest for as low as $15/month.
Click here to add your Featured Listing...
OttawaStart Nature Headlines
- Fall BioBlitz, September 12th, 2014
- Orchids for Beginners, September 15th, 2014
- GPPC Threatens Chelsea With Legal Action Over Meech Lake Shoreline Violations
- Yukon and Northwest Territories in the winter!
- Magnificent Canada
- More community headlines...
- Click here to add your news...
- See also: Ottawa Green Guide
- Alfred Bog
- The Champlain Oaks
The site tells the story of two dozen trees in Ottawa's Champlain Park neighbourhood, near Island Park Drive. Some of them are estimated to be more than 200 years old, and are the descendants of a huge oak forest that would have covered the South shore of the Ottawa River.
of Ottawa: Parks
- Eastern Ontario Model Forest
- Ecology Ottawa
- Fitzroy Harbour Provincial Park
- Fletcher Wildlife Garden
- Friends of Petrie Island
- Gatineau Park
- Gatineau Park News (blog)
- The Gilligallou Bird Store
- The Greenbelt
- Guide Gatineau (Gatineau Park Guide)
- Macoun Field Club
- Museum of Nature
- Ottawa Field Naturalists Club
- Ottawa Forests and Greenspace Advisory Committee
- Ottawa Paleontological Society
- Outdoor Ottawa
(directory and blog about outdoor sporting and recreation)
- Richard's GPS Trail
Extensive maps of Ottawa's Greenbelt trails - perfect for planning a hike, mountian bike ride, or cross country ski trip
- Rideau Valley Wildlife Sanctuary
The only licensed facility in Eastern Ontario that cares for injured or orphaned wild animals and turtles. They also give advice on co-existing peacefully with wildlife and provides humane, cost-effective ways to prevent or solve wildlife conflicts.
- Rideau River Provincial Park
- Save Our Greenspace
- South March Highlands
- Wildlife Habitat Canada
- Related: Weather Guide
Gardens & Plants
- Related: See a list of Ottawa landscaping companies on our
Home Services & Renovation Guide...
- Acorn Creek Garden Farm
- Agrotourism Ottawa
- Brantin Country Garden Centre
- The Canadian Gardener
- Creekside Gardens
- Friends of the Central Experimental Farm
- Greater Ottawa Water Garden Society
- The Herb Garden
- Jan's Garden
- Maplelawn Historic Garden
- Mondus Garden Decor
- Ontario Weeds
- Ottawa Botanical Garden Society
- Ottawa Orchid Society
- Ottawa Community Garden
- Ottawa Horticultural Society
- Ottawa Hortiphilia
- Sunflower Farm CSA
- Wind Spinners
Rivers & Waterways
- Friends of the Carp River
- Friends of the Jock River
- Ottawa River Regulation Planning Board
- Ottawa Riverkeeper
- The Nature of the Rideau River
This Web site was created by the Museum of Nature to chronicle the biodiversity of the Rideau River. The Nature of the Rideau River is based on the results of a three-year study of the Rideau River system, which winds its way for about 100 km through the forests, woodlands and rural and urban areas of Eastern Ontario.
- Rideau Canal
- Rideau Valley Conservation Authority
- The Water Chronicles
- See also: Ottawa Boating & Fishing Guide...
- Please see our Ottawa Apple Picking Guide...
- Pleas see our Ottawa Pumpkin Guide...
Science & Astronomy
- Royal Astronomical Society of Canada (RASC)
- Ottawa Valley Astronomy & Observers Group (OAOG)
- Pars3C (astronomy / science blog)
- Staring into Space (blog)
Christmas Tree Farms
- Please see our new Christmas Tree Guide
Please see our list of Sugar Bushes in Ottawa and Gatineau...
The latest on Twitter