Ottawa – Starting Monday, August 13 at 6 am, Merivale Road will be closed in both directions for approximately ten weeks between Island Park Drive and Carling Avenue.
The closure is required for public and worker safety reasons, as the Ministry of Transportation Ontario (MTO) completes construction to widen Highway 417 between Maitland Avenue and Island Park Drive. The work involves widening of the Merivale Road Bridge.
Signed detours will be in place for the duration of the closure. The sidewalk on the east side of Merivale Road will remain accessible for pedestrians. Cyclists can follow the detour, or walk their bikes on the sidewalk. Local traffic can continue to access the Westgate Mall only via Merivale.
OC Transpo routes 80 and 81 will continue to service Westgate Mall, and no bus stops will be impacted.
For more updates on construction and roadwork activity across the city, or for information about traffic and travel planning, visit the City’s Traffic Report or follow the City’s traffic account on Twitter.
Here’s some other upcoming traffic impacts from the city:
- Highway 416: Beginning Friday, August 10 at 9 pm, the northbound off-ramp at Fallowfield Road will be closed for roadwork. The ramp will be closed until Monday, August 13 at 6 am. Signed detours will be in place during the closure.
- Brian Coburn Boulevard: On Saturday, August 11, Brian Coburn Boulevard will be closed for roadwork from Mer-Bleue Road to Tenth Line Road from 6 am to 6 pm. Signed detours will be in place during the closure.
- Highway 417: Starting Monday, August 13 at 10 am, lane reductions will be in place on Highway 417 westbound to allow for repairs to the Belfast Bridge’s northern retaining wall. Portable variable message signs will be in place, and motorists can expect delays during peak periods. The work is expected to take three weeks, with full lane access to resume Sunday, September 2.
- St. Laurent Boulevard: Between Monday, August 13 and Friday, September 7 there will be intermittent lane closures on St Laurent Boulevard at Innes Road during off-peak hours and overnight, to allow for road resurfacing. Signed detours will be in place for the duration of the construction.
- Renaud Road: There will be intermittent lane closures for roadwork on Renaud Road, east of Anderson Road from Tuesday, August 14 to Wednesday, September 26. The closures will be limited to off-peak and overnight hours.
- McBean Street: From Monday, August 13 to Tuesday, September 4, McBean Street will be closed between Strachan Street and Royal York for preparatory work for the Richmond Bridge replacement project. Signed detours will be in place during the closures.
- Blair Road: The on-ramps and off-ramps connecting Blair Road and Highway 174 will be closed intermittently for roadwork between Thursday, August 16 and Friday September 7. The closures will be limited to off-peak and overnight hours. Signed detours will be in place.