Main Street will be fully closed to traffic between Hawthorne Avenue and Lees Avenue, from the night of Friday August 7 to the early morning of Monday August 24.
During that period, Main Street from Hawthorne Avenue to Greenfield Avenue will be open to both northbound and southbound traffic. The intersections of Main Street/Hawthorne Avenue (eastbound to northbound and southbound to westbound movements) and Main Street/Lees Avenue (westbound to southbound movement) will remain open to traffic.
The road closure is required to accommodate work on the Main Street Renewal Project.
Motorists should expect delays or avoid the area if possible. A signed detour will be in place. The recommended detour is via Greenfield Avenue.
During construction, businesses in the area will remain open as usual.
With all of the construction-related activities underway, residents are encouraged to be flexible with commuting times, stagger work hours or use alternative means for travel. The public is asked to consider options such as transit, walking, cycling or carpooling.
The City of Ottawa has tools on ottawa.ca to help motorists and transit users plan their routes and manage their commute including:
- OttawaNav– the City’s mobile application for real time construction and traffic information
- City of Ottawa Traffic Report– outlining citywide road closures, traffic restrictions and detours
- Travel Plannerat octranspo.com – transit users can chart and plan routes
- Interactive traffic map– showing construction areas and live traffic cameras throughout the city
- Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) cameras
- Cycling mapsand information – detailing bicycle pathways and lanes throughout the city
For current information about traffic and construction around the city, visit ottawa.ca.
This work is part of Ottawa on the Move. Ottawa on the Move is about keeping our community and economy moving forward through strategic investments in a number of transportation, water, and sewer projects to build a better city and create jobs.