Beginning on Wednesday June 3, the northbound turn lane on Sussex Drive at St. Patrick Street, for vehicles turning left to the Alexandra Bridge and MacKenzie Avenue, will be closed around the clock for approximately five days (weather permitting).
The lane closure is required to allow the installation of a concrete crosswalk on Sussex Drive at the intersection of St. Patrick Street and Sussex Drive.
Vehicles heading north to Gatineau or south on MacKenzie Avenue will have to use one of two detours, which will be signed:
- Sussex Drive north, turn right on Murray to Parent Street, and right onto St. Patrick Street
- Sussex Drive north to the intersection of Sussex Drive and King Edward Avenue, then take the on-ramp to MacDonald-Cartier Bridge
With all of the construction-related activities underway, residents are encouraged to be flexible with commuting times, stagger work hours or use alternative means for travel. The public is asked to consider options such as transit, walking, cycling or carpooling.
The City of Ottawa has tools on ottawa.ca to help motorists and transit users plan their routes and manage their commute including:
- OttawaNav– the City’s mobile application for real time construction and traffic information
- City of Ottawa Traffic Report– outlining citywide road closures, traffic restrictions and detours
- Travel Plannerat octranspo.com – transit users can chart and plan routes
- Interactive traffic map– showing construction areas and live traffic cams throughout the city
- Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) cameras
- Cycling mapsand information – detailing bicycle pathways and lanes throughout the city
The Sussex Drive Reconstruction project is an Ottawa on the Move project. Ottawa on the Move is about keeping our community and economy moving forward through strategic investments in a number of transportation, water, and sewer projects to build a better city and create jobs.
For more information about the construction activity happening across the city, or for information about traffic and travel planning, visit ottawa.ca.