Residents are advised that, beginning Friday, May 29 at 9 p.m., Highway 417 will be reduced by one lane in each direction from St. Laurent Blvd. to the Highway 417/174 Split. Highway 174 eastbound will also be reduced by one lane through the Highway 417/174 Split. These reductions will be in effect until the early morning of Monday, June 1.
Traffic impacts are expected for motorists driving in this area so please plan your trip in advance.
Signage will be in place to advise drivers. Motorists are reminded to respect the reduced speed limits and use caution when travelling through construction zones.
This work is part of the Highway 417 expansion project, which began in May 2013 and will add an additional lane in each direction between Nicholas Street and the Highway 417/Highway 174 split. The additional lane will be used for bus rapid transit during the 2015 to 2018 phase of the Confederation Line construction.
The City of Ottawa has tools to help motorists and transit users plan their routes and manage their commute, including:
- OttawaNav – the City’s mobile application for real-time construction and traffic information.
- City of Ottawa Traffic Report – outlining citywide road closures, traffic restrictions and detours
- Travel Planner at octranspo.com – transit users can chart and plan routes
- Interactive traffic map – showing construction areas and live traffic cams throughout the city
- Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) cameras along Highway 417
- Cycling maps and information – detailing bicycle pathways and lanes throughout the city
Further details and other information concerning City road works are available on ottawa.ca.