Residents are advised that, beginning Friday, May 8 at 11 p.m., Highway 417 will be reduced by one lane in each direction from the 417/174 split to Nicholas Street. The reduction will be in effect until the early morning of Monday, May 11.
Two westbound lanes will remain open throughout this period, and the 417 westbound off-ramp at Nicholas will be reduced to one lane during the same period.
Signage will be in place to advise drivers. Motorists are reminded to respect the reduced speed limits and use caution when travelling through construction zones.
This work is part of the Highway 417 expansion project, which began in May 2013 and will add an additional lane in each direction between Nicholas Street and the Highway 417/Highway 174 split. The additional lane will be used for bus rapid transit during the 2015 to 2018 phase of the Confederation Line construction.
The City of Ottawa has tools to help motorists and transit users plan their routes and manage their commute, including:
- OttawaNav – the City’s mobile application for real-time construction and traffic information.
- City of Ottawa Traffic Report – outlining citywide road closures, traffic restrictions and detours
- Travel Planner at octranspo.com – transit users can chart and plan routes
- Interactive traffic map – showing construction areas and live traffic cams throughout the city
- Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) cameras along Highway 417
- Cycling maps and information – detailing bicycle pathways and lanes throughout the city
Further details and other information concerning City road works are available on ottawa.ca.