This guest blog comes from Angie Auchterlonie, who co-owns the Funk Your Junk boutique in the Byward Market, along with Henri Groulx.
We own a funky retro store called Funk Your Junk and we also started a program called “Suited for Success”. We provide suits to individuals that aren’t currently in the financial position to purchase one for an interview. We do this with your generous donations of suits, dress shirts, pants, skirts, ties and shoes. Hillary’s Cleaners dry cleans the suits for the program at no charge. They are a fabulous local business that supports their community.
In the month of December we are trying to collect 100 pairs of new nylons and dress socks. This small addition completes the suiting process. We like to say it’s the icing on the cake. Donation boxes are located at Funk Your Junk (110 Parent), LASI World Skills (219 Argyle) and the Nepean Sportsplex (1701 Woodroffe).
We’re currently “Suiting for Success” with the following agencies:
- LASI World Skills – helping new immigrants to Canada
- Youth Services Young Men’s Shelter – helping young men ages 16 to 21
- Ottawa University Food Bank – assisting students in financial need
- Minwaashin Lodge – women,children and youth who are survivors of violence
- Operation Go Home – prevents homeless youth from becoming homeless adults