The City wants to remind Ottawa residents who smoke that they need to take steps to make sure they do not start fires that can cause property damage, injury, or even loss of life to their neighbours and loved ones.
In particular, fires are being caused by cigarettes disposed of in planters and flower pots. Planters should never be used as ash trays because a burning cigarette can ignite roots, mulch and fertilizer in the soil or decorative material.
To prevent fire from starting, residents who choose to smoke should take the following precautions when disposing of cigarettes:
- Use large, deep, sturdy, non-combustible ashtrays or containers filled with sand to extinguish cigarettes
- Soak cigarette butts and ashes in water before disposing of them
- Keep ashtrays away from anything that is flammable
If you choose to smoke, please take the following additional precautions to prevent fire:
- Smoke outside
- Never smoke in bed
- Keep lighters and matches out of reach of children
- Keep an appropriate container outside to help prevent fires and keep our city’s streets and sidewalks free of litter