Work shop: Board 101 – A First ViewDate/Time
Date(s) - Wednesday, January 31
6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
This two-hour workshop offers a first look at becoming a board member for a charity or non-profit organization. The workshop is the first of three which examine the roles and responsibilities of board members and the characteristics of effective boards. This workshop invites you to a conversation about what is asked of you as a board member. Participants will develop confidence and understand how they can make an effective contribution to the board of an organization.
During this workshop, with practical applications and discussion we will discuss:
- Roles and responsibilities of boards
- Contributing to organizational culture
- The role of committees
- Assessing tasks and time commitment
- What to expect in an orientation manual
- Addressing risk
Who Should Attend
- Board members and anyone thinking of joining a Board
- Past members of a Board of Directors and who want to explore the experience in a structured way.
- NPO staff, for example Volunteer Resource Managers or EDs, who recruit Board members
Board Governance at Volunteer Ottawa is taught by a number of instructors who are highly experienced in senior management and organizational governance. Our Governance faculty includes Jim Pealow, Ben Schlussel, Nancy Barrett, and RoseAnne Leonard.