Ottawa Events Guide
With the listings and directories in our Events Guide, there really is no excuse for sitting at home with nothing to do. Here are some listings and links showing what's on in Ottawa.
Featured Events and Entertainment Listings
Do you love jazz and improvised music? Or would you like to expand what you're listening to now to include the variety of great live jazz in Ottawa-Gatineau? Not sure where to start? Extensive event and club listings, interviews, musician links, news, and photos are updated daily by jazz fans with 20+ years experience. If you like live music, whether it's vocal, instrumental, avant-garde, smooth, or standards, check out OttawaJazzScene.ca
- Soul Kisser
Soul Kisser is one of Ottawa's up and coming experimental acts, bringing post rock/shoegazer music to Ottawa's masses, and hopefully beyond, with energy and original songwriting. The result is a medley of effects, rumbling bass/guitar licks, infectious keys and all manner of instrumentation. Soul Kisser songs will capture the imagination and sooth the soul. Featuring Jayson (Bassist/Guitarist/Vocalist) & Adriana (Keyboardist). Otto (Drummer) Roland Juno Di/Line 6 JM4 Looper.
- April 25, 2014: Crush Improv presents Spotlight On... at Centrepointe Theatre
Crush welcomes special guest Helene Campbell. in 2012 she had a double lung transplant and since then has been very active in promoting the cause for organ donation. The Crush cast will create a series of comedic improvised scenes based on her stories.
May 10, 2014: BLOOM: Mother's Day Edition
MAC FAIR proudly presents "BLOOM: Mother's Day Edition". Saturday, May 10 from 10am-3pm. From original home décor, luscious eco-friendly body products and stunning fashion through to handcrafted jewelry, unique paintings and scrumptous treats, there’s no telling what products you might find! You can also check us out on Facebook.
- May 10, 2014: Brew Donkey's Prince Edward County Day Trip
We are Brew Donkey, a craft beer focused liquor delivery service licensed by the AGCO to deliver all of the craft beer that the Ottawa Region has to offer. This tour will feature a brewery, cidery, distillery, and winery in Prince Edward County as well as breakfast and lunch. Click here for details.
- Make your business stand out from the rest for as low as $15/month. Click here to add your Featured Listing...
OttawaStart's Weekly Event Round-Up: April 17-23, 2014
Here are our contributors' picks for the best events in Ottawa this week.
Thursday, April 17: Triades at la Maison de la Culture (Gatineau)
Triades is the collaboration of three Quebec jazz singers -- Sonia Johnson (Juno, 2012), Annie Poulin, and Charles Biddle, Jr -- with three prominent Quebec jazz instrumentalists -- pianist Marianne Trudel (who also arranged all the songs), bassist Morgan Moore, and drummer Jim Doxas. Their CD was nominated for a Juno for Vocal Jazz Album this year (Johnson won that award in 2012). Expect songs in both English and French, sung separately and in harmony, with lots of verve and feeling. (From downtown Ottawa, La Maison de la Culture de Gatineau is about 15 minutes by car, via Highway 148, or 30 minutes by bus on STO route 200.)
-- Alayne McGregor, OttawaJazzScene.ca
Thursday, April 17: A Dramatic Reading of Pop Songs
Featuring Evan Solomon, Amanda Putz, David O'Meara & Sandra Ridley, a VERSeFest Fundraiser, $10. I'm out of town so I have to miss this but it sounds like oodles of pun. Who could resist Edgar Allen Levigne? Plus it's a great cause, helping to raise money for Ottawa's annual poetry festival, which brings in a variety of poets from all over the world every March. Starts at 7:30pm
-- Amanda Earl, Bywords
Thursday, April 17: Stiff Quickies
The Ottawa Fringe Festival is putting on a fundraiser this Thursday, April 17 at the Arts Court Theatre & Studio. Dubbed Stiff Quickies: Short Films, Tall Drinks, Deep Pockets, the event will feature a screening with works by several artists and represents a great occasion to support the local cultural scene.
-- Eliane Laberge, Eventful Capital
Friday, April 18: FIFA 14 Video Game Tournament
Stony Monday Riot, a new soccer supporter group, is proud to present the First Annual Borthwick Cup, a FIFA 14 Open tournament taking place on the eve of Ottawa Fury FC`s home opener. Up to 32 participants will be playing for up to $320 in cash. There are a few spots left! For more information and to sign up, visit www.ottawafifa.ca Not a video game person? Come and meet some "rioters" and sample from the bake sale - and get immersed in Ottawa's new soccer culture!
-- Laura Gauthier
Friday, April 18: StillNative Black Keys Tribute
Local rawbeat rock duo StillNative are putting on a show at the Rainbow Bistrofor their IndieGoGo Campaign to help raise funds to “manufacture, promote and distribute their second LP”. For the occasion, StillNative will be performing a Black Keys Tribute Set along with some original material and they’ll be joined by opening act Rishi Von Rex.
-- Eliane Laberge, Eventful Capital
Saturday, April 19 and Tuesday, April 22: Earth Day events
Earth Day is April 22, but eco-retailer terra20 is getting an early start on Saturday, when they’re inviting people to check out plantable seed paper, meet composting worms and learn healthy snack-making from the National Capital Vegetarian Association. On Tuesday, Indigenous Peoples Solidarity Movement Ottawa presents Honour Your Word, a documentary film about the Algonquins of Barriere Lake and their efforts to protect their land and environment, at the Mayfair Theatre.
-- Denise Deby, Green Living Ottawa
Saturday, April 19: Inaugural Season Opener for the Ottawa Fury FC soccer team
Join the Stony Monday Riot supporters group for some pre-match festivities which begin at 12:30pm at Original Burger (873 Bank Street) - Pints of Broadhead are $5. Party heads to Carleton around 2pm (#7 Red and White Limo service). Kick-off at 3pm. All are welcome to join! Ticket info for reduced rate with SMR also available!
-- Laura Gauthier
The Easter Bunny is at in again on his third visit to the Diefenbunker! With hundreds of places to hide in our 100,000 square foot bunker, we need your help to find all of the Easter eggs. Come out for our Easter Egg hunt and make an Easter craft! At the Diefenbunker in Carp.
-- Sara-Lynne Levine, Macaroni Kid Ottawa
Tuesday, April 22: Michael Webster's Momentous Ontario Tour
This Brooklyn-based, but Ottawa born jazz musician is coming back to town in support of his latest album. He's a fantastic jazz musician, but the music appeals to more than just jazz aficionados. There's a beautiful atmospheric quality to his music, so it will be a very special evening at the NAC's Fourth Stage.
-- Ryan Bresee
Have a great week!
OttawaStart Event Listings
The most recent event announcements added to our site.
- Romeo and Juliet Flashmob in Chapters Rideau
- The Ten Spot Grand Opening Party - Saturday May 3
- Jonesey and the GreyTones play The Savage Young Beatles at the Carleton Tavern May 3, 2014
- This Week's Festivals and Events
- IPromise to Laugh Like MADD - Comedy Night - May 1st, 2014
- Parkdale Spring Rummage Sale
- Come to the Spring Boutique Saturday, May 10th 10am - 3pm
- BET.E & STEF ENCORE PERFORMANCE - April 26 at La Grange de la Gatineau
- Hundreds of Vintage Costumes and Tea (April 26 at Britannia United Church)
- Fundraiser: Roller Derby Saved My Soul in Ottawa for ONE NIGHT ONLY, on May 30, 2014.
- Defeat Depression - Fundraising Walk for Mental Health Awareness
- May 3, 2014 Melodies In May Concert
- Spring Sale - Caldwell Family Centre
- "Courtship" theme of at Museum of Nature's next Nature Nocturne party on April 25
- Rogers TV to Broadcast 2014 Show Choir Canada
- Stiff Quickies: April 17
- Canadian Tire Centre Upcoming Events
- This Friday: Bach's St. John Passion
- Lowertown Brewery signs on as Ottawa 10K sponsor
- HUFF Written and Performed by Cliff Cardinal April 29 - May 10 NAC Studio An NAC English Theatre Presentation
- More community headlines...
- Click here to add your event announcement...
- Check out our huge list of Ottawa Festivals...
- May: Tulip Festival
- May: Victoria Day Fireworks
- May: Great Glebe Garage Sale
- May: Ottawa Race Weekend
- May: Jane's Walk
- June-July-August: Changing of the Guard
- June-August: Mosaika - Sound
and Light Show on Parliament Hill
- June/July: Ottawa International Jazz Festival
- July 1: Canada Day
- July: Bluesfest
- August long weekend: Busker Festival
- August: Casino du Lac Leamy Fireworks - Sound of Light
- October: Halloween
- November: Remembrance Day
- November/December: Christmas Craft Shows
- November: Santa Claus Parade
- December: Christmas Lights
- December: New Year's Eve
- January 1: Polar Bear Dip
- February: Winterlude
- February: Family Day
- March: St. Patrick's Day Parade
- March: March Break
More local web sites with event listings
A new-ish user-driven local events listing "created as a way for friends to discover and share events". Check out specific lists for local food, running, arts, and business.
Literary / spoken word / poetry events.
- Fundraising Events
OttawaStart's listing of annual fundraising events in Ottawa.
- Frugal Fun Ottawa
Lists free and frugal events and activities happening in the National Capital Region, geared towards families and kids.
- Ottawa Concerts Guide
A listing of upcoming music concerts in Ottawa.
- Ottawa Festivals Guide
A big list of annual festivals in Ottawa.
Ottawa's restaurants, events and entertainment guide
Get-togethers for people with a common interest in hobbies, activities, politics, etc.
- OttawaStart Community News
Our free news & event listing service, featuring Ottawa entertainment events, community events, and other activities.
- For even more arts & entertainment listings, please visit our Entertainment Guide
- As You Like It - Event Management
- Beyond Events
- Capital Connection (event planning)
- Coverall Event Coordination
- Cummings Mitchell (trade show suppliers)
- Events As Planned
- Event Design
- Events InStyle
- Forest Events
- Kelly Signs
- Legacy Event Planning
- Mastermind Events
- Meeting Professionals International
- Ottawa Special Events
- Plan Ahead Events - Central Ottawa
- Savvy Company
- Say Something Communications
- Summit Entertainment
- STARFISH creative events & inspiration
- See also: Ottawa Wedding Guide: Wedding Planners ... many of Ottawa's wedding planners do much more than just weddings!
The latest on Twitter