Ottawa Events Guide
With the listings and directories in our Events Guide, there really is no excuse for sitting at home with nothing to do. Here are some listings and links showing what's on in Ottawa.
Do you love jazz and improvised music? Or would you like to expand what you're listening to now to include the variety of great live jazz in Ottawa-Gatineau? Not sure where to start? Extensive event and club listings, interviews, musician links, news, and photos are updated daily by jazz fans with 20+ years experience. If you like live music, whether it's vocal, instrumental, avant-garde, smooth, or standards, check out OttawaJazzScene.ca
June 19: CPR Level C and AED course
Pulse First Aid is holding a CPR Level C and AED course on June 19, 2013. The course will be held at 255 Montreal from 6pm-10pm. All participants will be issued certifications valid for 1 year upon completion of the course. The course costs $40.00 + HST. Contact email@example.com
Mill Heritage Fair: June 21-23, 2013
A living history retreat with Regency ball, Guinness Record Attempt, workshops (Dying in Battle, Duelling, Period Cooking, and more) and Skirmish.
- Make your business stand out from the rest for just $15/month. Click here to add your Featured Listing...
Here are our contributors' picks for the best events in Ottawa this week. This list is also published every Wednesday night on the OttawaStart Blog. You can bookmark this link for easy access: http://ottawastart.com/weekly
Thursday, June 13 to Saturday, June 15: Festival Franco-Ontarien
This year's Festival Franco-Ontarien celebrates the 400th anniversary of Champlain’s passage in the Ottawa/Outaouais and it’ll present popular francophone musicians from French Canada including Damien Robitaille, Les Colocs, Coeur de Pirate and Misteur Valaire. An annual celebration of Francophone culture!
-- Eliane Laberge
Thursday, June 13 to Saturday, June 15: Festival Franco-Ontarien
The 38th Festival franco-ontarien is taking place this Thursday, Friday and Saturday in Major's Hill Park. Kicking off on Thursday at noon, the schedule sees performances on the Air Canada Stage starting at 5:30pm on Thursday and Friday, and at 5pm on Saturday, including 400 Years of Kitchen Parties on stage Thursday at 9pm, Damien Robitaille on stage Friday at 7:30pm and Cœur de pirate on stage Saturday at 7:30pm. You can buy a three-day wristband on-site for $25 or a daily wristband for $15. If you're buying your wristband on-site, be sure to bring cash to pay for it.
-- Gordon Dewis
Friday, June 14 and Saturday, June 15: Montebello Rockfest
This Friday, June 14 and Saturday, June 15, Amnesia presents the 8th annual Rockfest in Montebello, Quebec, just 45 minutes away from Ottawa. The festival promises 150 groups on 5 stages including headliners Rise Against, The Offspring, Marilyn Manson, and Alice Cooper. The organizers offer an on-site camping option for those who wish to attend both days and stay overnight.
-- Eliane Laberge
Friday, June 14 to Sunday, June 16: The Jivewires at the Italian Week Festival
Sometimes people forget that jazz began as fun music to dance to. The Jivewires have always remembered -- they've been pleasing Ottawa crowds for decades. They're a steady Italian Week favourite, where they showcase songs by jive artist and Italian-American singer Louis Prima. They'll play outside on Preston Street in front of Pub Italia on all three nights of the festival. This year, they'll be joined by two other popular local jazz groups at other locations on the street: Cuppa Soup and The Richard Page Quartet.
-- Alayne McGregor
Saturday, June 15: The Ottawa Small Press Book Fair
Noon-5pm at Jack Purcell Community Centre, 320 Jack Purcell, Room 203- free admission. This is a fine opportunity to meet small press publishers from Ottawa & beyond. you'll be able to purchase poetry books, novels,cookbooks, posters, t-shirts, graphic novels, comic books, magazines, scraps of paper, gum-ball machines with poems, 2x4s with text & more. these items are not available in stores & many of the works are hand-made, limited edition pieces of art. Also, check out to pre-fair reading the night before at the Carleton Tavern
-- Amanda Earl
Saturday, June 15: Ottawa Good Food Markets
Add the Ottawa Good Food Markets to your list of food experiences to try this season. A collaborative effort led by the Coalition of Community Health and Resource Centres, the markets bring fresh, affordable and locally-relevant produce and dried goods to neighbourhoods that don’t have good market access. The next ones are on Saturday at Laroche Park in Mechanicsville and in Overbrook at the Rideau-Rockcliffe Community Resource Centre.
-- Denise Deby
Saturday, June 15 & Sunday, June 16: The New Art Festival
This giant outdoor art festival draws over 200 artists who display their work in The Glebe's Central Park. One of the city's largest art shows, this event is always a great way to see artwork as sold by the artists in a fun and relaxing park setting. Paintings, photography, pottery, jewellery and other artsy items are all exhibited both days 10-5pm in this well known annual art event.
-- Andrew King
Sunday, June 16 & Monday, June 24: Ontario Craft Beer Week
All week long the province is celebrating the thriving locally-based craft beer industry with events at pubs, restaurants and breweries! Events include beer paired dinners, tap takeovers, special beer releases and much more.
-- Katy Watts
Sunday, June 16: Father's Day at the Bunker
The ultimate ‘Man-Cave' is gearing up for the ultimate ‘Man-Day', aka Father's Day! Join the special military history tour every hour on the hour at 11:00am, 12:00pm, 1:00pm and 2:00pm. At the Diefenbunker, 3911 Carp Road.
-- Sara-Lynne Levine
Tuesday, June 18: Lunch and Learn at Octopus Books
With social media making it easier for individuals to connect and collaborate, are formal organizations still relevant? Possibly, if they act #morelikepeople—that’s the proposal up for discussion when author and community organizer Liam Barrington-Bush comes to town. It’s at Octopus Books’ Centretown location, 251 Bank St., 2nd floor, 12-1 p.m.
-- Denise Deby
Have a great week!
OttawaStart Event Listings
The most recent event announcements added to our site.
- Live ROCK @ the Georgetown Friday, June 28 @ 8:30pm
- Country Fun Nature Camp at Tucker House - July 15-19 & July 22-26
- Nationless Mind Records Invites You to Our Second Edition of Our Concert Series - Before Kanada: NATIONLESS NIGHTS
- Home of the Ottawa Senators renamed Canadian Tire Centre
- NAC Presents Announcement: BASIA BULAT will perform in the Theatre on October 5th. Tickets on Sale June 20th
- Exciting week of stellar public performances!
- 10th annual Scotiabank Walk, Roll & Run raises $101,000 for Roger's House
- Strawberry Tea at Knox Presbyterian Church, June 22, 2013
- Hadfield Family "Back to Earth" Sandwich to Launch to Thousands on Canada Day
- Ottawa welcomes the 14th Annual Canadian Comedy Awards
- Drake visits Scotiabank Place on Oct. 22, 2013
- How to get around in Ottawa on Canada Day (July 1, 2013)
- Canada Day 2013 at Jacques-Cartier Park in Gatineau
- Canada Day 2013 at Major's Hill Park in Ottawa
- Canada Day 2013 on Parliament Hill
- Ed Robertson to join Chris Hadfield on the Canada Day Evening Show
- Family fun War of 1812 shows kicking off across Ontario
- Polo for Learning - Saturday, June 15th
- Vintage Motorcycle Show Comes to Oxford Mills
- One week left! Early Bird savings!
- More community headlines...
- Click here to add your event announcement...
- Check out our huge list of Ottawa Festivals...
- May: Tulip Festival
- May: Victoria Day Fireworks
- May: Great Glebe Garage Sale
- May: Ottawa Race Weekend
- June-July-August: Changing of the Guard
- June-August: Mosaika - Sound
and Light Show on Parliament Hill
- June/July: Ottawa International Jazz Festival
- July 1: Canada Day
- July: Bluesfest
- August long weekend: Busker Festival
- August: Casino du Lac Leamy Fireworks - Sound of Light
- October: Halloween
- November: Remembrance Day
- November/December: Christmas Craft Shows
- November: Santa Claus Parade
- December: Christmas Lights
- December: New Year's Eve
- January 1: Polar Bear Dip
- February: Winterlude
- February: Family Day
- March: St. Patrick's Day Parade
- March: March Break
More local web sites with event listings
A new-ish user-driven local events listing "created as a way for friends to discover and share events". Check out specific lists for local food, running, arts, and business.
Literary / spoken word / poetry events.
- Fundraising Events
OttawaStart's listing of annual fundraising events in Ottawa.
- Frugal Fun Ottawa
Lists free and frugal events and activities happening in the National Capital Region, geared towards families and kids.
- Ottawa Concerts Guide
A listing of upcoming music concerts in Ottawa.
- Ottawa Festivals Guide
A big list of annual festivals in Ottawa.
Ottawa's restaurants, events and entertainment guide
Get-togethers for people with a common interest in hobbies, activities, politics, etc.
- OttawaStart Community News
Our free news & event listing service, featuring Ottawa entertainment events, community events, and other activities.
- For even more arts & entertainment listings, please visit our Entertainment Guide
- As You Like It - Event Management
- Beyond Events
- Capital Connection (event planning)
- Coverall Event Coordination
- Cummings Mitchell (trade show suppliers)
- Events As Planned
- Event Design
- Events InStyle
- Forest Events
- Kelly Signs
- Legacy Event Planning
- Mastermind Events
- Meeting Professionals International
- Ottawa Special Events
- Plan Ahead Events - Central Ottawa
- Savvy Company
- Say Something Communications
- Summit Entertainment
- STARFISH creative events & inspiration
- See also: Ottawa Wedding Guide: Wedding Planners ... many of Ottawa's wedding planners do much more than just weddings!