Motorists are reminded to drive with caution on and around Alta Vista Drive when installation of crosswalks at several intersections begins on Monday, June 29. This work will also include curb, sidewalk and traffic signal modifications
Through traffic along Alta Vista Drive will not be affected during peak hours, but lane reductions can be expected off peak.
Temporary lane reductions may occur during off-peak hours on Smyth Road and Heron Road. Temporary road closures, for short periods, may be required along Alta Vista at Cunningham Avenue, Randall Avenue and Ridgemont Avenue during non-peak hours.
This work will be completed by the end of summer.
During construction, there will be a greater need for all road users to share the road in a safe manner. When navigating through a detour or a construction area, be cautious and watch out for pedestrians, cyclists and other motorists. Signage along the Alta Vista corridor will emphasize the need to slow down and share the road.
The City of Ottawa has tools to help motorists and transit users plan their routes and manage their commute, including:
- OttawaNav – the City’s mobile application for real-time construction and traffic information.
- City of Ottawa Traffic Report – outlining citywide road closures, traffic restrictions and detours
- Travel Planner at octranspo.com – transit users can chart and plan routes
- Interactive traffic map – showing construction areas and live traffic cams throughout the city
- Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) cameras along Highway 417
- Cycling maps and information – detailing bicycle pathways and lanes throughout the city
Further details and other information concerning City road works are available on ottawa.ca.