Live shot of Parliament Hill. Photo
courtesy of the Government of Canada.
Canada Day 2012 in Ottawa - July 1, 2012
This page has info about the big events downtown, plus celebrations all around Ottawa in Kanata, Barrhaven, Orleans, etc. The Nation's Capital is the headquarters for Canada's birthday celebration on July 1, 2012. Each year, hundreds of thousands of people visit Parliament Hill, Major's Hill Park, Jacques-Cartier Park, and other locations in the surrounding areas to celebrate Canada. This year is Canada's 145th birthday.
- Mark the War of 1812 on the St. Lawrence
On June 18th, 1812, the United States declared war on Great Britain. The battle ground was spread out across North America affecting the lives of millions. Two hundred years later, we encourage you to visit the Canadian and American communities along Eastern Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River as they commemorate the vital role this region played during the War of 1812.
- Ottawa Hotels Guide
Make your reservation at one of dozens
of hotels in the Ottawa area. Hotels in Downtown, Gatineau, Kanata and the surrounding area.
- Add your event to this section & make it stand out from the rest. $15/month.
Click here to add your Featured Listing...
Canada Day Events
Official Canada Day Events Downtown
- Parliament Hill: On July 1, Parliament Hill will be the setting for Canada Day celebrations. Thousands of Canadians will converge on the Hill to mark their country’s birthday. In the morning, they will be able to attend the Peace Tower carillon concert at 9:00 a.m., the traditional flag-raising ceremony at 9:30 a.m., and the Changing of the Guard at 10:00 a.m. More info...
- Parliament Hill Noon Show: From noon to 1:30pm there's the Canada Day Noon Show, featuring performances from Jully Black, The Drums, Feist, Neverest, Donny Parenteau, Roch Voisine and Simple Plan. More info...
- Parliament Hill Evening Show: Begins at 7:30pm with performances from Misstress Barbara, Donny Parenteau, Jully Black, Marie-Mai, Roch Voisine, Simple Plan and Feist. More info...
- Major's Hill Park: Festivities at Major's Hill Park feature a variety of cultural performances and displays. More info...
- Jacques Cartier Park: At the park you’ll find a variety of activities aimed at families and children aged 3 to 12. More info...
- Canada Day Fireworks at 10:00pm...
More Canada Day Events in our community
- ADD YOUR EVENT: Visit our Community News page.
- Mattamy Homes Canada Day in Barrhaven
- Canada Day Eve & Canada Day in Pakenham / Mississippi Mills - June 30-July 1
- Canada Day in Osgoode Village
- Ottawa International Jazz Fest: Canada Day 2012
- 9th Annual Dovercourt Open / Canadian Slalom Skateboard Championships - June 30-July 1, 2012
- 26TH EDITION CANADA DAY ROAD RACES
- Canada Day in Kanata featuring Kim Mitchell
- Canada Day in Corkery
- Annual City of Vernon Canada Day Celebrations Will Entertain
- Canada Day 2012 in Oxford Mills
- Canada Day 2012 in Riverside Park, Kemptville
- Canada Day 2012 in Greely
- Canada Day 2012 at Cecil Morrisson Park
- Canada Day 2012 in Dunrobin
- 12th Edition of Wonders of Sand / 12e édition de Merveilles de sable de Gatineau - June 29-July 1, 2012
- Canada Day in Carleton Place
- Greater Orleans Canada Day Celebration at Petrie Island
- Canada Day Festival at Queen Juliana Park, June 29-July 2, 2012
- Shad Qadri's Canada Day Senior’s Breakfast
- Canada Day at the Currency Museum of the Bank of Canada
- Escapade Music Festival - June 30-July 1, 2012
- Stittsville Hosting Canada Day 2012
- Preparations for Canada Day are underway at Major’s Hill and Jacques-Cartier parks and Nepean Point Schedule of closure of public spaces
- Canadian Horse Weekend - June 30-July 2
- Canada Day 2012 at the NAC
- Canada Day 2012 Free Admission at Museum of Nature
- Zaphod's 20th Annual Canada Day Party
- What's open and what's closed on the July 1, 2012 long weekend in Ottawa
- June 30th Canada Day BBQ at The Pine
- It's "Storytime at Rideau Hall" this Canada Day Weekend!
- Museums: Most
local museums are open on Canada Day, with special programming. (Most
are offering free admission, too!) For a listing of local museums,
visit our Ottawa Museums Guide...
- We've had a few questions about whether or not there is an event happening this year at Andrew Hayden Park. As far as we know, there isn't anything going on there -- but the organizers of last year's Canada Day Festival at Andrew Hayden Park are running a similar event at Queen Juliana Park near Dow's Lake.
- You can find more local event listings year-round on our Ottawa Events Guide...
- ADD YOUR EVENT: Send us your event info via our Community News service
Open & closed
- The best way to get downtown is by bus.
Bus service is free after 10:00pm on Canada Day on OC Transpo and STO buses.
OC Transpo is running on a special holiday schedule on July 1, with additional service during the day. More info...
- Most of the streets around Parliament Hill, Jacques Cartier Park,
and Major's Hill Park are closed on Canada Day. Here's a complete list of road closures due to Canada Day...