Live shot of Parliament Hill. Photo courtesy of the Government of Canada.
Canada Day 2013 in Ottawa - July 1, 2013
This page has info about the big events downtown, plus celebrations all around Ottawa in Kanata, Barrhaven, Orleans, etc. The Nation's Capital is the headquarters for Canada's birthday celebration on July 1, 2013. Each year, hundreds of thousands of people visit Parliament Hill, Major's Hill Park, Jacques-Cartier Park, and other locations in the surrounding areas to celebrate Canada. This year is Canada's 146th birthday.
Do you love jazz and improvised music? Or would you like to expand what you're listening to now to include the variety of great live jazz in Ottawa-Gatineau? Not sure where to start? Extensive event and club listings, interviews, musician links, news, and photos are updated daily by jazz fans with 20+ years experience. If you like live music, whether it's vocal, instrumental, avant-garde, smooth, or standards, check out OttawaJazzScene.ca
- The Ottawa Acting Company
The Ottawa Acting Company is Ottawa's newest centre for theatre education and performance. Located on Bank Street in the heart of the Glebe, the Ottawa Acting Company offers weekly adult and youth acting classes in the evenings and weekends, while our "Studio 55" offers afternoon classes for seniors. We will get you up on your feet and acting from the beginning!
- Soul Kisser
Soul Kisser is one of Ottawa's up and coming experimental acts, bringing post rock/shoegazer music to Ottawa's masses, and hopefully beyond, with energy and original songwriting. The result is a medley of effects, rumbling bass/guitar licks, infectious keys and all manner of instrumentation. Soul Kisser songs will capture the imagination and sooth the soul. Featuring Jayson (Bassist/Guitarist/Vocalist) & Adriana (Keyboardist). Otto (Drummer) Roland Juno Di/Line 6 JM4 Looper.
- Amanda Cottreau - Almost Christmas Single
Need a break from the cookie cutter Christmas carols!? Westboro songstress Amanda Cottreau just released a new single - Almost Christmas. The ambient guitar soundscapes coupled with soothing vocals and comically candid lyrics are sure to take the edge off this "holiday" season. Get it today!
- Christmas Craft Shows
A list of upcoming Christmas craft shows and bazaars in the Ottawa area. Good luck with your gift shopping!
- Christmas Light Displays
A big list of dozens of Chirstmas light displays in and around Ottawa, including Parliament Hill, Upper Canada Village, and Taffy Lane in Orleans.
- Make your business stand out from the rest for just $15/month. Click here to add your Featured Listing...
Canada Day Events
- Canada Day - Official Events Downtown
An outline of the events on Parliament Hill, Major's Hill Park and Jacques Cartier Park.
- Canada Day Fireworks
The big fireworks show starts at 10:00pm. Check out our suggestions for the best viewing spots downtown. (And also a list of more July 1 fireworks shows in the area.)
- Canada Day events - community listings
Includes information about dozens of Canada Day events in neighbourhoods, including Kanata, Barrhaven, Orleans, Andrew Hayden Park ...and many, many more. (coming soon)
- Transportation, buses, what's open & closed
Some additional links to help you navigate in Canada's Capital on July 1.
Official Canada Day Events Downtown
Hill: On July 1, Parliament Hill will be the setting
for Canada Day celebrations. Thousands of Canadians will converge
on the Hill to mark their country’s birthday. In the morning,
they will be able to attend the Peace Tower carillon concert at
9:00 a.m., the traditional flag-raising ceremony at 9:30 a.m.,
and the Changing of the Guard
at 10:00 a.m. More
info & programming...
Hill Noon Show: From noon to 1:30pm
there's the Canada Day Noon Show, featuring performances from
Metric, Carly Rae Jepsen, astronaut Chris Hadfield, Marie-Mai,
Terri Clark, Karim Ouellet, Measha Brueggergosman, Mo Kenney,
Amylie, Kytami. More
info & programming...
Hill Evening Show: Begins at 7:30pm with performances
from Metric, Carly Rae Jepsen, astronaut Chris Hadfield, Sylvain
Cossette, Lucie Idlout, DJ Abeille, Mo Kenney, Kytami, Nomadic
Massive, Cellos on Fire, Trent Severn, DJ Desunos, Washboard Hank.
More info &
Hill Park: 10:00am-10:45pm. Major’s Hill Park
will host an exciting all day line-up of shows, workshops, and
participatory activities celebrating Canadian diversity and self-expression.
This year’s theme highlights exploration and the spirit
of discovery. More
info & programming...
Cartier Park: 10:00am-10:45pm. At Jacques-Cartier
Park in Gatineau, the young and young at heart can enjoy enriching
experiences and fun through games and activities for the whole
family, including a spectacular parachute demonstration by the
SkyHawks at 11:30 am. More
info & programming...
- Other official sites: Plaza Bridge, Confederation Park, Marion Dewar Plaza, Gatineau Park, Vincent Massey Park and more. Details here...
- THE FIREWORKS: Canada
Day Fireworks at 10:00pm...
- Canada Day Fireworks Display at Cecil Morrison Park
- Canada Day schedule changes
- CANADA DAY 2013 in North Grenville!
- Canada Day 2013 in Corkery
- CANADA DAY ROAD RACES PRESENTED BY BUSHTUKAH - July 1, 2013
- Canada Day 2013 in Oxford Mills
- Greater Orleans Canada Day celebration at Petrie Island - July 1, 2013
- Zaphod Beeblebrox presents Vieux Farka Toure - Canada Day, July 1, 2013
- Canada Day 2013 at Gemmill Park in Almonte
- Family fun War of 1812 shows kicking off across Ontario
- Canada Day 2013 in Greely
- Canada Day 2013 in Carleton Place
- Don't miss Escapade Music Festival June 29 - July 1st
- Come celebrate Canada Day at the Museum of Civilization
- Canada Day 2013: Plaza Bridge, Confederation Park, Gatineau Park and more
- Stittsville's Canada Day 2013
- CELEBRATE CANADA DAY AT THE NAC!
- Canada Day breakfast will not be held this year
- Canada Day in Kanata 2013 - featuring Trooper
- Ottawa International Jazz Festival - All shows on Canada Day are FREE
- Mattamy Homes Canada Day in Barrhaven - July 1, 2013
- June 30, 2013- Add Community Cup to your Canada Day weekend
- Free admission and special events at many of the Capital Region’s parks, museums and attractions on Canada Day 2013
- ADD YOUR EVENT: Visit our Community News page.
- Museums: Most local museums are open on Canada Day, with special programming. (Most are offering free admission, too!) For a listing of local museums, visit our Ottawa Museums Guide...
- Even more events this weekend: OttawaStart's Weekly Event Round-Up...
- You can find more local event listings year-round on our Ottawa Events Guide...
- ADD YOUR EVENT: Send us your event info via our Community News service
- Here's a list of stores, attractions and services that are open and closed for the July 1 holiday...
- The best way to get downtown is by bus.
- Bus service is free all day on Canada Day on OC Transpo buses. OC Transpo is running on a special holiday schedule on July 1, with additional service during the day. More info...
- Bus service is free after 10:00pm on Canada Day on STO buses (Gatineau).
- A FREE Canada Day Shuttle Bus between Jacques-Cartier Park (Gatineau) and Major’s Hill Park (Ottawa) will be offered from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm on July 1.
- If you're riding your bike downtown, the NCC will be providing
free supervised bike stations at each official Canada Day site.
- Most of the streets around Parliament Hill, Jacques Cartier Park, and Major's Hill Park are closed on Canada Day. Don't bring your car downtown!
The latest on Twitter