Ottawa Busker Festival - August 2-5, 2013
Ottawa's annual Busker Festival (aka Buskerfest) takes place from August 2-5, 2013 on the Sparks Street Mall in downtown Ottawa. This free,family favourite event is will feature six performance areas including a local stage, face painting, henna tattoos, balloon artists, and much more. This years performers come from Australia, California, Great Britain, and Canada.
Do you love jazz and improvised music? Or would you like to expand what you're listening to now to include the variety of great live jazz in Ottawa-Gatineau? Not sure where to start? Extensive event and club listings, interviews, musician links, news, and photos are updated daily by jazz fans with 20+ years experience. If you like live music, whether it's vocal, instrumental, avant-garde, smooth, or standards, check out OttawaJazzScene.ca
- Soul Kisser
Soul Kisser is one of Ottawa's up and coming experimental acts, bringing post rock/shoegazer music to Ottawa's masses, and hopefully beyond, with energy and original songwriting. The result is a medley of effects, rumbling bass/guitar licks, infectious keys and all manner of instrumentation. Soul Kisser songs will capture the imagination and sooth the soul. Featuring Jayson (Bassist/Guitarist/Vocalist) & Adriana (Keyboardist). Otto (Drummer) Roland Juno Di/Line 6 JM4 Looper.
- Feb 15-March 9, 2014: Wakefield International Film Festival
Wakefield International Film Festival (WIFF) runs from February 15th to March 9th at the Wakefield LaPĂȘche Community Centre in the beautiful village of Wakefield, QC. Now in its 5th year, WIFF screens the very best in current documentary film. Thought-provoking, passionate, challenging, inspiring â and definitely not boring. More information: www.wakefieldfilmfestival.caÂ
- March 15-16, 2014: The Outdoor & Adventure Travel Show
Get pumped for Spring!Â Buy gear. Plan your cycling or camping trip. Get splashed at the paddlesports pool! Get fit with Hal Johnson & Joanne McLeod! Meet the star ofÂ Angry Planet! Kids get in FREE! They’ll flip out for the BMX Stunt show, zipline, and rockwalls! March 15-16 at the EY Centre. 2-for-1 tickets available online at www.adventureottawa.ca.
- March 23, 2014: The Passage to Easter: A Choral Journey
A unique concert highlighting Russian Orthodox liturgical music journeying from Great Lent to Easter. The stirring a capella program will be performed by the St. Xenia of Petersburg Choir with the Slava Chamber Choir of Sherbrooke. A complimentary reception with choristers to follow. Tickets: $20 online: easterconcertstxenia.eventbrite.ca
- Sunday, March 30, 2014: Coronation St. Gary & Owen: Men at Work Tour
Truly a rare treat for Coronation Street fans, a chance to see and hear from Gary & Owen the new generation of Corrie Stars who are behind some of the latest exciting stories. Join them for a hosted interview & Q&A. Tickets at Shenkman Theatre, 613.580.2700
May 10, 2014: BLOOM: Mother's Day Edition (call for artisans)
MAC FAIR proudly presents "BLOOM: Mother's Day Edition" on Saturday May 10 at Immaculata High School, 140 Main St. Looking for local artisans of QUALITY, DISTINCTIVE, HAND MADE (by you!) items. This is a juried event and we are looking for the cream of the crop! If you are looking for a large, well-organized, well-promoted event at a great location, with a loyal following of customers, check us out! Find everything you need to know, and get to the online application, at MACFAIRCrafts.com. You can also check us out on Facebook. Application deadline is February 1.
- Make your business stand out from the rest for as low as $15/month. Click here to add your Featured Listing...
The festival takes place along Ottawa's Sparks Street, the pedestrian mall between Elgin Street and Kent Street. Shows run continuously starting at 11:00am and continue into the evening. Make sure you bring some loonies & toonies (or even five's or ten's) for the performers! There are set performance times for certain locations, but there will also be unscheduled performances popping up along the street and in surrounding areas. Performer bios are here...
- Friday - starts at 11:00am, last show starts at 10:00pm
- Saturday - starts at 11:00am, last show starts at 10:00pm
- Sunday - starts at 11:00am, last show starts at 10:00pm
- Monday - starts at 11:00am, last show starts at 6:00pm
- Full Schedule PDF
- Thursday & Friday, 6pm-12am: Metcalfe Street closed between Sparks & Wellington.
- Saturday, Sunday & Monday, 10am-12am: Metcalfe Street and O'Connor Street closed between Sparks & Wellington.
Where to park
- It'll be busy, but World Exchange at Metcalfe & Queen has free parking on the weekend. (Entrance from Metcalfe.)
- There's also the parking lot under 240 Sparks. Entrance is on Queen Street between Bank and Kent.
- There are lots of parking lots around downtown, just remember to pay! Try using ParkMe to find a spot.
- Another great option is to take the bus. OC Transpo's Transitway runs on Albert and Slater, just a couple blocks from Sparks Street.
Recommended Links & More info
- Sparks Street Mall (official site)
- OttawaStart Blog: Ottawa Buskers
- Flickr: Ottawa busker photos
- YouTube: Ottawa busker videos
About Sparks Street Mall
Sparks Street Mall is a pedestrian street (no cars allowed!) located one block south of Parliament Hill in downtown Ottawa. The street spans five full city blocks (map), and is lined by restaurants, shops, museums, and more. It's also home to CBC Ottawa's tv and radio studios.
The latest on Twitter