Ottawa Busker Festival - July 31-August 4, 2014
Ottawa's annual Busker Festival (aka Buskerfest) takes place from July 31-August 4, 2014 on the Sparks Street Mall in downtown Ottawa. This free,family favourite event is will feature six performance areas including a local stage, face painting, henna tattoos, balloon artists, and much more. This year’s performers come from Australia, California, Great Britain, and Canada.
Featured Events and Entertainment Listings
Do you love jazz and improvised music? Or would you like to expand what you're listening to now to include the variety of great live jazz in Ottawa-Gatineau? Not sure where to start? Extensive event and club listings, interviews, musician links, news, and photos are updated daily by jazz fans with 20+ years experience. If you like live music, whether it's vocal, instrumental, avant-garde, smooth, or standards, check out OttawaJazzScene.ca
- Soul Kisser
Soul Kisser is one of Ottawa's up and coming experimental acts, bringing post rock/shoegazer music to Ottawa's masses, and hopefully beyond, with energy and original songwriting. The result is a medley of effects, rumbling bass/guitar licks, infectious keys and all manner of instrumentation. Soul Kisser songs will capture the imagination and sooth the soul. Featuring Jayson (Bassist/Guitarist/Vocalist) & Adriana (Keyboardist). Otto (Drummer) Roland Juno Di/Line 6 JM4 Looper.
- July 27, 2014: Cards Against Brewmanity Tour
This tour will feature a two breweries, a brewpub and an on bus education session on craft beer and the Ottawa beer scene. It will also feature an on bus guided game of Cards Against Humanity.
- September 13-14, 2014: Fibrefest
The Mississippi Valley Textile Museum presents the 19th FIBREFEST at the Museum and the Almonte Arena. Old favorites returning are Button Mania, Vintage Clothing, demonstrations, Fabric Flea Market, Tea room and over 80+ Vendors. New to fibrefest this year are Alpaca Ontario with a fleece sort-a-thon and an exciting fabric exhibition from Nuno, Japan. Come and enjoy a day in Almonte. Free parking. $5 admission.
- Make your business stand out from the rest for as low as $15/month. Click here to add your Featured Listing...
Festival Schedule (2013)
The festival takes place along Ottawa's Sparks Street, the pedestrian mall between Elgin Street and Kent Street. Shows run continuously starting at 11:00am and continue into the evening. Make sure you bring some loonies & toonies (or even five's or ten's) for the performers! There are set performance times for certain locations, but there will also be unscheduled performances popping up along the street and in surrounding areas. Performer bios are here...
- Friday - starts at 11:00am, last show starts at 10:00pm
- Saturday - starts at 11:00am, last show starts at 10:00pm
- Sunday - starts at 11:00am, last show starts at 10:00pm
- Monday - starts at 11:00am, last show starts at 6:00pm
- Full Schedule PDF
Road Closures (2013)
- Thursday & Friday, 6pm-12am: Metcalfe Street closed between Sparks & Wellington.
- Saturday, Sunday & Monday, 10am-12am: Metcalfe Street and O'Connor Street closed between Sparks & Wellington.
Where to park
- It'll be busy, but World Exchange at Metcalfe & Queen has free parking on the weekend. (Entrance from Metcalfe.)
- There's also the parking lot under 240 Sparks. Entrance is on Queen Street between Bank and Kent.
- There are lots of parking lots around downtown, just remember to pay! Try using ParkMe to find a spot.
- Another great option is to take the bus. OC Transpo's Transitway runs on Albert and Slater, just a couple blocks from Sparks Street.
Recommended Links & More info
- Sparks Street Mall (official site)
- OttawaStart Blog: Ottawa Buskers
- Flickr: Ottawa busker photos
- YouTube: Ottawa busker videos
About Sparks Street Mall
Sparks Street Mall is a pedestrian street (no cars allowed!) located one block south of Parliament Hill in downtown Ottawa. The street spans five full city blocks (map), and is lined by restaurants, shops, museums, and more. It's also home to CBC Ottawa's tv and radio studios.
The latest on Twitter