Ottawa Busker Festival - August 2-5, 2013
Ottawa's annual Busker Festival (aka Buskerfest) takes place from August 2-5, 2013 on the Sparks Street Mall in downtown Ottawa. This free,family favourite event is will feature six performance areas including a local stage, face painting, henna tattoos, balloon artists, and much more. This year’s performers come from Australia, California, Great Britain, and Canada.
Do you love jazz and improvised music? Or would you like to expand what you're listening to now to include the variety of great live jazz in Ottawa-Gatineau? Not sure where to start? Extensive event and club listings, interviews, musician links, news, and photos are updated daily by jazz fans with 20+ years experience. If you like live music, whether it's vocal, instrumental, avant-garde, smooth, or standards, check out OttawaJazzScene.ca
- The Ottawa Acting Company
The Ottawa Acting Company is Ottawa's newest centre for theatre education and performance. Located on Bank Street in the heart of the Glebe, the Ottawa Acting Company offers weekly adult and youth acting classes in the evenings and weekends, while our "Studio 55" offers afternoon classes for seniors. We will get you up on your feet and acting from the beginning!
- Soul Kisser
Soul Kisser is one of Ottawa's up and coming experimental acts, bringing post rock/shoegazer music to Ottawa's masses, and hopefully beyond, with energy and original songwriting. The result is a medley of effects, rumbling bass/guitar licks, infectious keys and all manner of instrumentation. Soul Kisser songs will capture the imagination and sooth the soul. Featuring Jayson (Bassist/Guitarist/Vocalist) & Adriana (Keyboardist). Otto (Drummer) Roland Juno Di/Line 6 JM4 Looper.
- Amanda Cottreau - Almost Christmas Single
Need a break from the cookie cutter Christmas carols!? Westboro songstress Amanda Cottreau just released a new single - Almost Christmas. The ambient guitar soundscapes coupled with soothing vocals and comically candid lyrics are sure to take the edge off this "holiday" season. Get it today!
- Christmas Craft Shows
A list of upcoming Christmas craft shows and bazaars in the Ottawa area. Good luck with your gift shopping!
- Christmas Light Displays
A big list of dozens of Chirstmas light displays in and around Ottawa, including Parliament Hill, Upper Canada Village, and Taffy Lane in Orleans.
- Make your business stand out from the rest for just $15/month. Click here to add your Featured Listing...
The festival takes place along Ottawa's Sparks Street, the pedestrian mall between Elgin Street and Kent Street. Shows run continuously starting at 11:00am and continue into the evening. Make sure you bring some loonies & toonies (or even five's or ten's) for the performers! There are set performance times for certain locations, but there will also be unscheduled performances popping up along the street and in surrounding areas. Performer bios are here...
- Friday - starts at 11:00am, last show starts at 10:00pm
- Saturday - starts at 11:00am, last show starts at 10:00pm
- Sunday - starts at 11:00am, last show starts at 10:00pm
- Monday - starts at 11:00am, last show starts at 6:00pm
- Full Schedule PDF
- Thursday & Friday, 6pm-12am: Metcalfe Street closed between Sparks & Wellington.
- Saturday, Sunday & Monday, 10am-12am: Metcalfe Street and O'Connor Street closed between Sparks & Wellington.
Where to park
- It'll be busy, but World Exchange at Metcalfe & Queen has free parking on the weekend. (Entrance from Metcalfe.)
- There's also the parking lot under 240 Sparks. Entrance is on Queen Street between Bank and Kent.
- There are lots of parking lots around downtown, just remember to pay! Try using ParkMe to find a spot.
- Another great option is to take the bus. OC Transpo's Transitway runs on Albert and Slater, just a couple blocks from Sparks Street.
Recommended Links & More info
- Sparks Street Mall (official site)
- OttawaStart Blog: Ottawa Buskers
- Flickr: Ottawa busker photos
- YouTube: Ottawa busker videos
About Sparks Street Mall
Sparks Street Mall is a pedestrian street (no cars allowed!) located one block south of Parliament Hill in downtown Ottawa. The street spans five full city blocks (map), and is lined by restaurants, shops, museums, and more. It's also home to CBC Ottawa's tv and radio studios.
The latest on Twitter