News and notes from the editors of OttawaStart
Related: Check out our big list of Ottawa Blogs...
Free community news & event listings.
Add your community news.
- Saturday September 20, 2014 - Singing Swords - Pellegrini Opera Fundraiser
The Singing Swords Fundraiser - A collection of fight scenes and arias from some of the world's best known operas, performed by some of Canada's best rising and established opera stars. One Night Only! Sat. Sep. 20. Tickets online www.pellegriniopera.net.
- August 30: Saturday Morning All-You-Can-Eat-Cereal Cartoon Party at the Mayfair
On August 30, the Mayfair Theatre will tune back in those fuzzy UHF memories of childhood as we present theSaturday Morning All-You-Can-Eat-Cereal Cartoon Party!
- The New Photographers
Opening Event: Thursday September 4, 6pm - 10pm At Studio Sixty Six - 202-66 Muriel Street, Ottawa, ON Curated By: Carrie Colton Artists: Brady Simpson, Julie Sent, Jennifer Bouchard, Olivia Johnson Saleena Wedderburn, Troy Moth
- Celebrate the end of Summer with your Family at the Mackenzie King Estate
Join in the activities for Labour Day weekend at the Mackenzie King Estate, in the heart of Gatineau Park, from August 30 to September 1, from 11 am to 6 pm.
- NAC Tickets on Sale Sept 2 - Come celebrate 45 years of incredible memories!
The National Arts Centre celebrates its 45th anniversary this year – forty-five years of remarkable performances and incredible memories.
- Axis Ottawa 2014 to bring together the best of local innovators and global investors
Axis Ottawa is a landmark event that will be descending upon Ottawa next month, exposing international strategic investors to the top entrepreneurs and innovators from the Canadian startup community.
- What's open and closed on Labour Day in Ottawa, September 1, 2014
Monday, September 1 is Labour Day in Ottawa which means a long weekend for most people. Here's a list of what's open and closed.
- Orleans Youth - The Adventure begins here!
3rd Orleans Beaver Scouts (ages 5-7), Cub Scouts (ages 8-10), Scouts (ages 11-14), and Venturer Scouts (ages 15-18) welcomes boys and girls to gain valuable experience with us. We camp, cook, lead, hike, and enjoy the outdoors. Visit www.3rdOrleans.ca
- Johnny Vegas comes to the Royal Canadian Legion - Strathcona Branch - Friday September 5, 2014
Johnny Vegas with Eddie Bimm the One Man Band at the Royal Canadian Legion, Friday September 5, 2014. Make an evening of it by purchasing tickets through the Legion for the BBQ dinner. Chicken - $12, Steak - $15. Call 613-236-1575 for tickets.
- Final proponent recommended for Ottawa Art Gallery expansion and Arts Court redevelopment
In a report to be considered by the Finance and Economic Development Committee on September 2 and by City Council on September 10, city staff are recommending a final preferred proponent to complete the Ottawa Art Gallery (OAG) Expansion
- The return of Zaphod's FREE Concerts - "Showcase Mondays" - Heard Before The Herd.
THE RETURN OF FREE LIVE CONCERTS ON MONDAYS!!
- Custom murals now beautify two city underpasses
Two Ottawa underpasses are now sporting bright, new murals as part of the City’s streetscape initiative first announced by Mayor Jim Watson in his 2014 State of the City Address.
- Downtown truck tunnel study by Ontario and City starts
The Government of Ontario and the City of Ottawa have finalized an agreement to study a possible tunnel to address the problem of heavy inter-provincial truck traffic in downtown Ottawa.
- FURY FC HOST COMMUNITY PRACTICE WITH WEST OTTAWA SOCCER CLUB
Ottawa Fury FC, in partnership with the West Ottawa Soccer Club, will host a Community Practice Tuesday, August 26 at Walter Baker Park in Kanata from 6-8pm.
- Read all the recent headlines...
A comic by Ottawa artist Andrew King. Watch for a new one every Monday morning. Previously...
Tweets from @ottawastart/best-of-ottawa
2013 Gatineau Hot Air Balloon Festival, by Christophe Ledent from the OttawaStart Flickr Group
We want your photos! If you have a great pic of life in Ottawa, send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or add it to the OttawaStart Flickr Group. Your photo could be featured on our homepage!
Follow us on Twitter: @ottawastart
The latest on Twitter