News and notes from the editors of OttawaStart
Related: Check out our big list of Ottawa Blogs...
Free community news & event listings.
Add your community news.
- Upcoming ramp closures and lane reductions on Highways 417 and 174
Starting Sunday, December 8 there will be off peak lane reductions on Highway 417 in both directions between Parkdale Avenue and Walkley Road and on Highway 174 between Montreal Road and the Hwy 417/174 split.
- Parol - A Star of Hope A Tribute to Filipino-Canadian Friendship
Date: Sunday, 8 December 2013 Time: 2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. Venue: Jean Pigott Place, Ottawa City Hall 110 Laurier Ave W, Ottawa, ON K1P 1J1
- Extended Closure of the Philippe Lake Covered Bridge
The National Capital Commission (NCC) wishes to inform the public that it must extend the closure of the Philippe Lake covered bridge, on the Philippe Lake Parkway, in Sainte-Cécile-de-Masham, Quebec, until May 2014.
- MERIVALE HIGH SCHOOL WILL REOPEN TOMORROW
Merivale High School will REOPEN tomorrow, Saturday, December 7, 2013, for community use of schools and will be open for students and staff on Monday, December 9, 2013, for regular day school.
- Meetings at Ottawa City Hall next week
All public meetings will be held at Ottawa City Hall, 110 Laurier Avenue West, unless otherwise noted. For a complete agenda and updates, please sign up for e-mail alerts or visit Public Meetings and Notices on ottawa.ca, or call 3-1-1.
- Senators unveil Canadian Tire Centre Vision, a 700-screen high-definition experience, at Canadian Tire Centre
Innovative HD system to provide customized and interactive content at each event
- Santa kicks off OC Transpo Annual Christmas Food Drive in partnership with Loblaw Companies Limited
Santa and his helpers made a stop at City Hall and other City facilities today as part of the OC Transpo Annual Christmas Food Drive, which will collect donations of non-perishable food items or cash from residents on Saturday, December 7.
- Ottawa Police Recruitment Information Session on December 10th
Join Us-We’re Recruiting!
- Clive Doucet Speaks on his Commitment to Sustainability.
Writer, novelist, urban anthropologist, philosopher, and former city councillor, Clive Doucet, will speak at the Unitarian Fellowship of Ottawa, 400 McArthur Ave, at 10:30 am on Sunday, December 15.
- UUZen Meditation - One Day Workshop - Dec. 14
Saturday, Dec 14, 9am-4pm Unitarian Fellowship of Ottawa, 400 McArthur Avenue, 7 to 9 pm. Gary & Judy study and practice meditation mainly in the Zen tradition of Thich Nhat Hanh. There is no cost.
- Christmas giftables at Galerie Old Chelsea, December 13 to 15
Christmas Market at Galerie Old Chelsea, December 13 to 15.
- Wellington West Holiday Tree Lighting
Join us Sunday, December 8 from 4:30-6pm for the Wellington West Holiday Tree Lighting event at Somerset Square!
- Northern Lights Business & Cultural Showcase January 30 - February 1, 2014
Experience Northern Lights, the 2014 Business and Cultural Showcase which celebrates Canada's North and the Eastern Arctic, including the regions of Nunavut, Nunavik, and Labrador / Nunatsiavut.
- In the Stillness of the Night, with the Ottawa Bach Choir
The Ottawa Bach Choir presents a program of reflective seasonal works and readings, with Caroline Leonardelli, harp.
- Read all the recent headlines...
A comic by Ottawa artist Andrew King. Watch for a new one every Monday morning. Previously...
Gift idea: Original framed Mr. Loaf comics are available at Andrew King's Pop Up Gallery (Richmond @ Churchill) until December 22, with all proceeds going to the Food Bank.
Tweets from @ottawastart/best-of-ottawa
Fruit. Photo by David Johnson.
We want your photos! If you have a great pic of life in Ottawa, send it to us at email@example.com or add it to the OttawaStart Flickr Group. Your photo could be featured on our homepage!
Follow us on Twitter: @ottawastart
The latest on Twitter