News and notes from the editors of OttawaStart
Related: Check out our big list of Ottawa Blogs...
Free community news & event listings.
Add your community news.
- NCC Transfers Bike Share Service to CycleHop Bike Share Service to Resume by the Summer
The National Capital Commission (NCC) is pleased to announce the transfer of its bike share program, Capital BIXI, to CycleHop, LLC, effective April 17, 2014.
- Upcoming ramp closures and lane reductions on Highways 417 and 174
Starting Monday, April 21 until Sunday, April 27 there will be off-peak lane reductions on Highway 417 in both directions between Kent Street and the Highway 417/174 split and between Parkdale Avenue and Rochester Street.
- Gatineau Park parkways to reopen to traffic at noon on Friday, May 9
The National Capital Commission (NCC) will reopen the Gatineau Park parkway network to motor vehicle traffic, according to the following schedule:
- Romeo and Juliet Flashmob in Chapters Rideau
/a Company of Fools/ is celebrating William Shakespeare’s 450th birthday by throwing a good ol’ fashion flash mob.
- Meetings at Ottawa City Hall next week
All public meetings will be held at Ottawa City Hall, 110 Laurier Avenue West, unless otherwise noted.
- Canadian Tire Centre Upcoming Events
Canadian Tire Centre (@CdnTireCtr), Ottawa's premier sports and entertainment venue, is presenting the following events between April 17 and Nov. 15, 2014.
- Stiff Quickies: April 17
Stiff Quickies is a night of short films (or, quickies) and stiff drinks at Arts Court Theatre (2 Daly Avenue).
- The Independent Filmmakers Co-operative of Ottawa Inc. (IFCO) Presents: FILM SCAPE
7 Brand new films from Ottawa based film artists!
- PranaShanti Community Kirtan with Gregory Kaps May 2nd, 2014 From 7:30 - 9:00 pm
Meditation doesn't come easy for many people. And that's where kirtan-an ancient participatory music experience-offers another method. Visit www.pranashanti.com or call 613-761-9642 (YOGA) for more information.
- Rogers TV to Broadcast 2014 Show Choir Canada
St. Peter Catholic and South Carleton high schools compete at National Championship
- "Courtship" theme of at Museum of Nature's next Nature Nocturne party on April 25
Celebrate the arrival of spring and the theme of courtship on April 25 at Nature Nocturne, the city�s best Friday social event. Location: Canadian Museum of Nature, 240 McLeod St., Ottawa.
- Ottawa Catholic School Board -- CELEBRATING EXCELLENCE 2014 -- April 23rd, 2014 - St. Paul HS
Ottawa Catholic School Board CELEBRATING EXCELLENCE 2014 April 23rd, 2014 4-6 pm. St. Paul High School, 2675 Draper Ave. Please join us as we celebrate the strengths, talents, and contributions of some of our most exceptional students.
- Celebrate Red & White Wine! An All-Canadian Night
O-O-O-O-Oh Canada! This event features 100% Canadian wines . Join us for this first-ever wine tasting where BC, ON, QC & NS wine regions come together to celebrate our true colours � Red & White. Come out & meet the winemakers & buy their wines.
- Defeat Depression - Fundraising Walk for Mental Health Awareness
You're invited to participate in the Ottawa Defeat Depression Walk! May 10th, 9 am, at Vincent Massey Park. Web: http://mdsc.akaraisin.com/ottawa2014 To raise awareness and acceptance of mental illness and fundraise for mental health services.
- Read all the recent headlines...
A comic by Ottawa artist Andrew King. Watch for a new one every Monday morning. Previously...
Tweets from @ottawastart/best-of-ottawa
"Chateau Laurier Study C" Photo by Helene Lacelle.
We want your photos! If you have a great pic of life in Ottawa, send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or add it to the OttawaStart Flickr Group. Your photo could be featured on our homepage!
Follow us on Twitter: @ottawastart
The latest on Twitter